how to defeat railroad gunners

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Well, the air option is ruled out. The best you could do is now either nuke a nearby province or catch it in melee with heavy armor.
      "We can be wrong, or we can know it, but we can't do both at the same time." ~ Heisenberg

SENIOR ELECTION MANAGER
      HEAD OF THE FPD
    • I agree with Joe, nuke would be the option,if you still far from researching it but you have researched rockets,you can make stacks and target it,to at least severely damage it.You mentioned that the Rail gun stack moves,if you can catch it when it's stationary or the player is offline then it would work otherwise the nukes would be still a better option...
    • Joe Bartolozzi wrote:

Well, the air option is ruled out. The best you could do is now either nuke a nearby province or catch it in melee with heavy armor.
      If we're going mêlée why not Commandoes?

Dxcalc reckons a stack of 10 commandoes lvl.1 will defeat 10 railway guns lvl.1 and 10 anti-air lvl.3. Except when Comintern or pan-Asian commandoes are fighting Axis, they will not lose any units and will lose only 40-60% of health. That's not including forest and mountain bonuses.

They're stealth so can sneak up on it in any terrain, and they are highly effective against heavy and light armour
      Commandoes may be expensive, but railway guns aren't too cheap either and losing 10 RRG and 10 AA costs about 8 times more.
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks
    • Commando's stealth levels are horrible though. All you need to spot one of your L1 commando's is nothing but an armored car from the initial army.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.

The post was edited 1 time, last by K.Rokossovski ().

• Assuming they do have armoured cars, if they keep moving shouldn't it be easy enough to ambush them since they won't automatically bombard targets in range?
      If they have high command we could distract them with a couple expendable units closer by. It'll one-shot them but that will use up 30 minutes of its attack for each unit.
      — Marshal Foch

The post was edited 2 times, last by Lord Crayfish ().

• I agree with the stealth option. Based on the example given, 10 RRG with 10 AA advancing.

If they will be moving through a forested province, a stack of TD and militia or commands, higher lvl, would definitely inflict serious damage. RRG are heavy armour so the TD's will decimate them. The AA would be left on their own to face the militia.
    • Another point to consider, building stacks like that are expensive, putting them together often leaves other areas under defend as they are concentrating resources on that stack. You could have opportunities to threaten them in other places. You have to analyze the map and consider that possibility.
    • 6thDragon wrote:

Another point to consider, building stacks like that are expensive, putting them together often leaves other areas under defend as they are concentrating resources on that stack. You could have opportunities to threaten them in other places. You have to analyze the map and consider that possibility.
      If you have land to trade for time I would agree...but if this stack is too close or in your core territory then it has to take top priority above anything else.
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

A competent to layer with a good RRG stack has a counter to most single units.
      That’s why it’s such a good strategy. Your best options to defeat it are:
      • Rush it with an unarmored/light armor stack. An RRG/AA stack would be painfully slow, so you should have no problem catching up to it. RRG has low defense stats against unarmored so once you lock in melee you should be able to do significant damage, depending on how many units in your stack.
      • Make an RRG stack of your own. This can be very expensive, so if you don’t have much time or resources, don’t even bother with this.
      • Rush with an armor stack. If you leveled up your tanks, you can put together a large tank stack and rush the RRG. The tanks will also serve as huge meat shields. Just make sure you have interceptors around so the enemy can’t use ABs on your stack.
      • Use a stealth stack, if the RRG stack is in stealth terrain. Militia, commandos, TD, AT, etc. Make sure your stack has enough HP to last a while.
      • In all of options, once you get the RRG stack locked in melee, you can bring in an arty stack and bombard it to give gradual attrition.
      Even if you’re not able to defeat the stack, you can at least damage it to the point where the attack potential from your planes will override the stack’s AA defense.
    • one good way is to drop in say 15 paratroopers to take them out. that and have a few expendable tanks or infantry and attack from a different direction while the decoys are being killed.

I had it happen to me and i had 55 level 5 tac bombers. after sending it twice and losing about 1/3 the anti air was gone and then i could bomb them at will which i did.
      there is NO way of not taking damage to take them out and might even be the same guy since most people play the same everytime
    • Joe Bartolozzi wrote:

Well, the air option is ruled out. The best you could do is now either nuke a nearby province or catch it in melee with heavy armor.
      i agree with that, but one point is all the AA will most likely shoot it down unless it is a missile nuke and i have not seen anything shoot them down.

Also if they are close to a providence point and it is within the kill range of a nuke then nuke the providence and the blast will take out most if not all of them depending on the research level.
    • 6thDragon wrote:

Another point to consider, building stacks like that are expensive, putting them together often leaves other areas under defend as they are concentrating resources on that stack. You could have opportunities to threaten them in other places. You have to analyze the map and consider that possibility.
      As Sun Tzu points out.
      "Whether to concentrate or to divide your troops, must be decided by circumstances"

"If our forces are ten to the enemy’s one, surround him (and use artillery); if five times, attack him immediately; if twice as numerous, divide our army into two (one as a diversion); if equal, offer battle; if slightly inferior in numbers, avoid him; if wholly inferior, flee."

When you are invading a single big stack or a few big stacks will often be effective. But when you have to defend a long border, having smaller stacks is definitely ideal.
      — Marshal Foch

• Lord Crayfish wrote:

6thDragon wrote:

As Sun Tzu points out."Whether to concentrate or to divide your troops, must be decided by circumstances"

"If our forces are ten to the enemy’s one, surround him (and use artillery); if five times, attack him immediately; if twice as numerous, divide our army into two (one as a diversion); if equal, offer battle; if slightly inferior in numbers, avoid him; if wholly inferior, flee."

When you are invading a single big stack or a few big stacks will often be effective. But when you have to defend a long border, having smaller stacks is definitely ideal.
      It depends on if you intend to use those border troops to attack or defend, If defending, definitely have big stacks, if attacking, sometimes better to have small stacks. In my opinion.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.