when have light tanks been usefull?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they the ideal zerg rush unit on day 1?
      Light tanks are cheaper than artillery (esp. in goods), do more damage against infantry (esp. in plains), and are faster. Armoured cars may be better against infantry but light tanks give them teeth. Arty may be useful in cleaning up the units in cities though.

I reckon knocking out 4 each of AC and LT and then making fast armoured stacks supplemented with starting infantry and some arty would be the ideal Day 1 tactic.

Or is artillery better? It's slower, weaker on day 1, has fewer HP, and is and more expensive, but it's potent in hills and can take zero damage.
      (In Allied, I mean. Other doctrines may have their own day 1 strategies)

Cost:MoneyFoodGoodsManpowerSteelOilTotalTimeDmg:vs Inf.vs. Light Armour
      AC1390-490106074062043002 hrs3.0 / 4.51.0 / 1.5
      LT1390-400106080065043002,25 hrs2.74.0
      Arty12305601300(!)1060310-44602,25 hrs1.52.0
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks

The post was edited 3 times, last by Lord Crayfish ().

• Lord Crayfish wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they the ideal zerg rush unit on day 1?
      Light tanks are cheaper than artillery (esp. in goods), do more damage against infantry (esp. in plains), and are faster. Armoured cars may be better against infantry but light tanks give them teeth. Arty may be useful in cleaning up the units in cities though.

I reckon knocking out 4 each of AC and LT and then making fast armoured stacks supplemented with starting infantry and some arty would be the ideal Day 1 tactic.

Or is artillery better? It's slower, weaker on day 1, has fewer HP, and is and more expensive, but it's potent in hills and can take zero damage.

Exactly, LTs aren't even that bad, they are good for early game.
      "We can be wrong, or we can know it, but we can't do both at the same time." ~ Heisenberg

SENIOR ELECTION MANAGER
      HEAD OF THE FPD
    • Lord Crayfish wrote:

Thanks for including the numbers! I wouldn't assign much value to one over the other with just these. The huge terrain, home defense, home strength and terrain speed bonuses create such huge swings in these numbers that each country and situation (surrounded by AI, have a veteran player next to you or maybe a rush from a less experienced person) needs it's own consideration for army structure and attack planning.

Oh yeah, and discipline bonuses make a huge difference. For instance, if I'm commtrn, the cost of arty is so cheap it's basically a no-brainer, except if I'm expanding into an area like northeast Africa (desert mostly and longer distances so speed is more important) then light tanks and AC are way better for a fast and terrain friendly (50% speed / strength bonus) attack.

Also, with the huge bonus to AT with commtrn, I can easily and quickly counter LTs...
    • GingerParty84 wrote:

Lord Crayfish wrote:

Thanks for including the numbers! I wouldn't assign much value to one over the other with just these. The huge terrain, home defense, home strength and terrain speed bonuses create such huge swings in these numbers that each country and situation (surrounded by AI, have a veteran player next to you or maybe a rush from a less experienced person) needs it's own consideration for army structure and attack planning.
      Oh yeah, and discipline bonuses make a huge difference. For instance, if I'm commtrn, the cost of arty is so cheap it's basically a no-brainer, except if I'm expanding into an area like northeast Africa (desert mostly and longer distances so speed is more important) then light tanks and AC are way better for a fast and terrain friendly (50% speed / strength bonus) attack.

Also, with the huge bonus to AT with commtrn, I can easily and quickly counter LTs...
      Name one Comintern player who actually invests in Anti Tank every game. They don't, because if their enemy turns out it have mostly infantry they're screwed and cant do anything because they spent half their beginning of the game getting good AT's
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • GingerParty84 wrote:

Nevertheless, arty cost three times as many goods for 2/3 of the damage to unarmoured (albeit they are ranged). IMO it's always good to upgrade your infantry to lvl.2 on Day 2, regardless of whether you plan to build more, because at that stage they're still the backbone of your army. Is it worth building large numbers of units requiring goods when this will impede ability to do so?

Fox-Company wrote:

Name one Comintern player who actually invests in Anti Tank every game. They don't, because if their enemy turns out it have mostly infantry they're screwed and cant do anything because they spent half their beginning of the game getting good AT's
      I always research anti-tank to lvl.1 in Comintern, so if an enemy does produce tanks I can churn out a stack and then upgrade them. Also one AT one AA and one AC per arty stack is a must (or at least units filling these roles)

By the way: Comintern has reduced unit production costs but not explicitly lower upgrade costs. So would the cost of upgrading be equivalent to upgrading the same pan-Asian (neutral) unit, or half of the Comintern production cost? Kind of like opposite of Allied?
      — Marshal Foch

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lord Crayfish ().

• Lord Crayfish wrote:

GingerParty84 wrote:

Nevertheless, arty cost three times as many goods for 2/3 of the damage to unarmoured (albeit they are ranged). IMO it's always good to upgrade your infantry to lvl.2 on Day 2, regardless of whether you plan to build more, because at that stage they're still the backbone of your army. Is it worth building large numbers of units requiring goods when this will impede ability to do so?

Fox-Company wrote:

I always research anti-tank to lvl.1 in Comintern, so if an enemy does produce tanks I can churn out a stack and then upgrade them. Also one AT one AA and one AC per arty stack is a must (or at least units filling these roles)
      By the way: Comintern has reduced unit production costs but not explicitly lower upgrade costs. So would the cost of upgrading be equivalent to upgrading the same pan-Asian (neutral) unit, or half of the Comintern production cost? Kind of like opposite of Allied?
      Lvl.1 is wholely ineffective if that armor stack has decent infantry with it, same point I stated before.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • There are two reasons to build light tanks:
      1) For their top speed, the fastest of them all except Axis mot. But to use it, you can't group them with anything. And then their lack of stealth reveal really pays off, they can so easily be ambushed, and they really need an AC in the vicinity.
      2) to fight AC's, which is basically their dream opponent. AC is a very common unit with lots of them in most battles, but LT's are only really good against them when they're alone.

Both reasons aren't good enough for me to include them in my units set 90% of the time when I'm not playing AvA which has some different requirements.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

There are two reasons to build light tanks:
      1) For their top speed, the fastest of them all except Axis mot. But to use it, you can't group them with anything. And then their lack of stealth reveal really pays off, they can so easily be ambushed, and they really need an AC in the vicinity.
      2) to fight AC's, which is basically their dream opponent. AC is a very common unit with lots of them in most battles, but LT's are only really good against them when they're alone.

Both reasons aren't good enough for me to include them in my units set 90% of the time when I'm not playing AvA which has some different requirements.
      My solution to the units LT's cant counter:

Nuke.

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • GingerParty84 wrote:

I doubt any good player, comintern or otherwise, is going to build large numbers of a specialized unit like AT, especially in the early game. If they notice an opponent using lots of armor, then MAYBE they will get some AT out on the battlefield. But even then they would have other options like MT, TD, HT, AB...

I would choose AB.
    • Lord Crayfish wrote:

It also depends on what kind of resources your country starts with. If you have plenty of metal and oil, then by all means this is a viable strategy, but if you are low on oil, you might not be able to do this, especially if you want to start churning out tacs.
    • Fox-Company wrote:

Lvl.1 is wholely ineffective if that armor stack has decent infantry with it, same point I stated before.
      Did I say that
      a) I would be using AT unsupported or
      b) They would be lvl.1 (I literally said the idea would be to upgrade multiple)?

Komrade Khrushchev wrote:

It also depends on what kind of resources your country starts with. If you have plenty of metal and oil, then by all means this is a viable strategy, but if you are low on oil, you might not be able to do this, especially if you want to start churning out tacs.
      Is anybody playing a W@W and can give screenshots of eastern Australia or lists of QLD and NSW rural resources?
      I'm seeing if this is a viable strategy for Queensland to dominate New South Wales while using naval bombers or warships to keep New Guinea in check.
      Considering both are mostly plains with some hills.
      — Marshal Foch

• here you go
      Images
      • Capture.PNG

448.29 kB, 1,181×852, viewed 22 times
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.