Airplane Question - Landing planes at an alternate airstrip.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Airplane Question - Landing planes at an alternate airstrip.

Hello, an opponent sent his planes about 3/4 of max flight distance and patrolled an area for an hour. He was recalling his planes to the landing strip they launched from. They were about to land and I had a fast moving ground unit 10 min out from hitting the strip. The planes should have landed and I would have hit them while re-fueling. Instead at the last second the planes diverted to another airstrip half about 8 provinces away.

I know planes divert if the province/landing strip is taken. In this case I hadn't taken it yet he was able to divert them. Is this possible? Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks in advance.
    • Wait, so was he actively recalling them, or were they heading there automatically thanks to being out of fuel?
      Her Ladyship Aragosta
      A.K.A. "The Backstab Person"

Pan-Asian is a better doctrine than Axis when played correctly and you cannot change my mind.

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
      CoW Forum Players! Unite!
    • Only if the aircraft absolutely require a refuel, aka they finished a bombardment or transitioning airfields. Due to how those planes were patrolling, and patrols require no refueling, they were not traveling back to refuel. If the aircraft does not need to refuel, and their original airfield was destroyed, they automatically move to the closest one within range.

They also can just move to any location or airfield within the red cone if they do not require a refuel.
      Say hi on the discord <3.
    • cycle9 wrote:

Planes do not 'run out of fuel" in CoW. Neither do they, or any unit, run out of ammo.
      Such foolishness would make CoW far too realistic.

An active player can re-route planes that are returning to base, as long as the new destination is within the 90 degree cone.
      Unless the rules have dramatically changed since I last played, planes do have to refuel.
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

Pan-Asian is a better doctrine than Axis when played correctly and you cannot change my mind.

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
    • Lady Aragosta wrote:

cycle9 wrote:

Planes do not 'run out of fuel" in CoW. Neither do they, or any unit, run out of ammo.

An active player can re-route planes that are returning to base, as long as the new destination is within the 90 degree cone.
      Unless the rules have dramatically changed since I last played, planes do have to refuel.
      Planes don't have to refuel after patrolling, that's the issue here.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Lady Aragosta wrote:

cycle9 wrote:

Planes don't have to refuel after patrolling, that's the issue here.
      I must be misremembering then. I distinctly recall patrolling planes of mine coming into their base airstrip every now and then for that reason, but then it's been a while since I survived long enough to build many so I probably am in error.
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
    • More or less important is the red shadowed triangle sector, which shows the area where patrolling aircraft can move without being redirected.
      a) If another airfield than the starting airfield is located in this sector, aircraft can be redirected to this airfield directly (no pit stop on the starting airfield). After landing on the new airfield the arcraft has to refuel.
      b) If no other airfield is located in the red shadowed triangel sector and you don't want your aircraft to land on your starting airfield, then the aircraft must return for a pit stop (less than one second) to the starting airfield. After ditching there the aircraft will immediately leave the starting airfield and move directly to the new advised airfield.

Patrolling aircraft have a huge advantage in comparison to attacking aircraft: patrolling aircraft need not to refuel when returning to their starting airfield, attacking aircraft must refuel.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Log of the odds ().