Artillery is Too Expensive

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Artillery is Too Expensive

The fact that a Level 1 Artillery costs 1,430 Goods is beyond me. No other unit unlockable on Day 1 costs that much of any (non-money) resource. The next highest single (non-money) resource cost of a Day 1 unit is 1,170 Manpower for Armored Car, Light Tank, and (surprise!) Artillery. The amount of Money that it costs to make an Artillery is 1,350, even less than the Goods cost!

Please lower the Goods cost on Artillery to something more reasonable, say 1,000 even.
    • Artillery is really expensive, but mainly as Axis, 1430 goods is quite high. On the other hand, where else are you using those goods? Metal can be invested in ships/tanks. Food into basically anything, while goods in the early game are diverted towards buildings/arty. Secondly, as comintern, it only costs what you call reasonable: 1000 ish goods. You're also paying for the fact the artilllery can deal RANGED damage, without taking any in return. That is why the meta in the past was Railroad Guns, with them still be relatively powerful right now.
    • ChessSamurai1999 wrote:

Artillery is really expensive, but mainly as Axis, 1430 goods is quite high. On the other hand, where else are you using those goods? Metal can be invested in ships/tanks. Food into basically anything, while goods in the early game are diverted towards buildings/arty. Secondly, as comintern, it only costs what you call reasonable: 1000 ish goods. You're also paying for the fact the artilllery can deal RANGED damage, without taking any in return. That is why the meta in the past was Railroad Guns, with them still be relatively powerful right now.
      Arty lvl.1 still costs 1.3k goods in Allied and pan-Asian which are the neutral ones. Using comintern or axis to talk about cost does mean you are talking about an adjusted figure. That's a fair amount, and honestly on Day 1 armoured cars and light tanks can be a better investment, at least in Allied or Axis.

I'd still say this cost seems a bit high, but (compare Rocket artillery which costs 740 food 1.1k manpower 320 steel 1.2 rares and $1.5k money with regular artillery's 560 food 1.3k goods 1.1manpower 310 metal and $1,2k money. It's roughly on par moderately cheaper to build regular.)
      But artillery spam early game is already quite powerful in pan-Asian, and artillery is still cheap enough that you can churn out 8 or 9 on Day 1 if you don't focus on anything else (I usually produce five). Armies are still mostly infantry in the first few days.

ChessSamurai1999 wrote:

On the other hand, where else are you using those goods? Metal can be invested in ships/tanks. Food into basically anything, while goods in the early game are diverted towards buildings/arty.
      Where else I am using goods? In building light armour, infantry, most research on Day 1 other than ships. Goods is almost always in the highest demand in the early game.

On a similar note:
      In Allied, is SP artillery actually worth it? In terms of cost for damage done regular arty lvl.3 is about 1/3 cheaper than SP arty lvl.2. I realise SP arty is buffed in Allied, but is there a good reason not to just use regular? What else are we paying for?
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks
    • Lord Crayfish wrote:

ChessSamurai1999 wrote:

Artillery is really expensive, but mainly as Axis, 1430 goods is quite high. On the other hand, where else are you using those goods? Metal can be invested in ships/tanks. Food into basically anything, while goods in the early game are diverted towards buildings/arty. Secondly, as comintern, it only costs what you call reasonable: 1000 ish goods. You're also paying for the fact the artilllery can deal RANGED damage, without taking any in return. That is why the meta in the past was Railroad Guns, with them still be relatively powerful right now.
      Arty lvl.1 still costs 1.3k goods in Allied and pan-Asian which are the neutral ones. Using comintern or axis to talk about cost does mean you are talking about an adjusted figure. That's a fair amount, and honestly on Day 1 armoured cars and light tanks can be a better investment, at least in Allied or Axis.
      I'd still say this cost seems a bit high, but (compare Rocket artillery which costs 740 food 1.1k manpower 320 steel 1.2 rares and $1.5k money with regular artillery's 560 food 1.3k goods 1.1manpower 310 metal and $1,2k money. It's roughly on par moderately cheaper to build regular.)
      But artillery spam early game is already quite powerful in pan-Asian, and artillery is still cheap enough that you can churn out 8 or 9 on Day 1 if you don't focus on anything else (I usually produce five). Armies are still mostly infantry in the first few days.

ChessSamurai1999 wrote:

On the other hand, where else are you using those goods? Metal can be invested in ships/tanks. Food into basically anything, while goods in the early game are diverted towards buildings/arty.
      Where else I am using goods? In building light armour, infantry, most research on Day 1 other than ships. Goods is almost always in the highest demand in the early game.
      On a similar note:
      In Allied, is SP artillery actually worth it? In terms of cost for damage done regular arty lvl.3 is about 1/3 cheaper than SP arty lvl.2. I realise SP arty is buffed in Allied, but is there a good reason not to just use regular? What else are we paying for?
      about using goods on light armor and infantry, they only use a couple hundred (3-5) at most, most goods will be going towards artillery
    • Artillery is one of the only units that can deal damage to other units without taking any in return. I've honestly never considered artillery "expensive", because it's always worth the cost. Sure, Axis artillery is expensive, but Axis everything is expensive. And even tho artillery does cost more overall (Ex: 1.3k total RSS for 1 inf compared to 1.9k total RSS for 1 artillery, not counting money), I would argue 1 artillery is worth more than 2-3 infantry, making its cost much more reasonable. Making it any cheaper would bring the death of melee combat as a whole (not that it shud be used, anyway).
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • Artillery was OP going back to CoW 1. In those days, there was no rocket arty, so the gun arty was the undisputed queen of damage.

The unit was nerfed in CoW 2 with the introduction of rocket arty and a drop to gun arty stats. It was still popular, so much so that Bytro nerfed it at least 3 more times, either by increasing costs or decreasing damage output. It's still an extremely popular unit, because free damage is free damage.

It's important to understand the history, because the current situation makes more sense in context.