Different tech progression's for different nations?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Different tech progression's for different nations?

I appreciate that the game seems to be presenting a 'mirror match' type of set up in that the same units are available at the same time for every nation however that balance is thrown out the window from the start due to resource distribution, proximity to juicy AI lands, size of homelands and thus distance to potential fronts.....so.....since we lack balance in that realm why not push it even further and create different tech trees for each nation based historically on what principles the nations used to build their armies, who were their allies and so on?

I am interested in what the community thinks of this idea. (obviously or I wouldn't have started a thread ;p ) It could add an interesting layer of complexity, not that I think this game is lacking. Hehe.
    • Fair enough. I'll take your word about position not impacting the game, I am only in 2 rounds currently and that constitutes the entirety of my experience with CoW but playing us Germany I have more potential threats than I can imagine Spain might have. The United States as well should be able to develop unmolested as what European power is going to lift up stakes to sail across the Atlantic? I am not saying your experience isn't valid, it surely but.....global warming is all my fault.

Anyone else?
    • I have also played as England and Italy. Once you take an AI or two within the first three days, you can be assured that you have made it to day 40, if the game lasts that long. I think that the idea would be good in a quicker game, like an extended, world wide version of Men of War. I don't think it would work too well here though.

BTW, global warming is all your fault is my signature. I don't just but at the end of everything just to bug people.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• EnmaDai-O wrote:

I appreciate that the game seems to be presenting a 'mirror match' type of set up in that the same units are available at the same time for every nation however that balance is thrown out the window from the start due to resource distribution, proximity to juicy AI lands, size of homelands and thus distance to potential fronts.....so.....since we lack balance in that realm why not push it even further and create different tech trees for each nation based historically on what principles the nations used to build their armies, who were their allies and so on?

I am interested in what the community thinks of this idea. (obviously or I wouldn't have started a thread ;p ) It could add an interesting layer of complexity, not that I think this game is lacking. Hehe.
      I think your idea has merit. There are some countries who start the game with better position. I believe once enough games have been played those weaker countries will be tweaked to give them a more balanced starting position. Did you have a certain country in mind as having an unfair start?
    • It wasn't even that I saw a gross imbalance between nations...

it's more that I think it would be interesting if Germany say, could get their dive bombers quickly and cheaply maybe without getting fighters first....the Soviets could push out reliable tanks....the USA might be slower to tech initially but mid to late game they could start to get research faster....just examples here, nothing more.

Different tech trees would create an interesting dynamic....perhaps harder to balance, but that was really part of my point; the game isn't perfectly balanced anyways so why not expand that notion in an interesting way?

...might even be neat if once you travel down a certain 'tech path' you are blocked from other avenues until a later date. This could encourage different strategies rather then players rushing after the same units every round.(not that I know that this happens....)
    • Akulla3D wrote:

EnmaDai-O wrote:

I think your idea has merit. There are some countries who start the game with better position. I believe once enough games have been played those weaker countries will be tweaked to give them a more balanced starting position. Did you have a certain country in mind as having an unfair start?
      I've played every country but Yugoslavia and Spain and if i had to say which countries are weak it would be Turkey for sure then maybe France and USSR. I say those because i have no experience with Spain and Yugoslavia and France unlike Germany is surrounded by 4 nations which can easily take out France each by their selves. Unlike Germany France has UK above it. Spain Below it. Italy to the South-East and Germany to the North-West. Most games ive played France is the first attacked out of all players why cause they have 2 expansions Swiss and Belguim/Neitherlands. Each opens up attacks from UK and Spain. Most games Uk invades Northern France and Italy and Spain Southern France. Usually not even coordinated. I also say USSR for 2 simple reason its huge and takes usually long periods to move troops and ITS MOTHER RUSSIA. We are talking about Soviet Russia here the country that stopped Hitler's blitzkrieg and Operation Barbarossa with weather and nothing but men. It need more Manpower. That's it other than that its fine. You just need to increase the manpower cause i can only build like 3 inf at a time when it has 4 cities and this is with Barracks in all the high Manpower provinces. I just doesn't have enough. Also i say Turkey is the weakest because usually you would say Turkey has all of Middle East and Balkans right? Well usually you don't want UK and France as enemies early game doesn't make for late game allies when your facing a combined UK and France duo. Also USSR, Germany, Italy, and Yugoslavia for sure will invade Balkans at some point and time if not afk.
      If the king doesn't move, then his subjects won’t follow.

Do you know why snow is white? Because it forgot what color it was.

Strength that knows no boundaries is merely violence.

• EnmaDai-O wrote:

it's more that I think it would be interesting if Germany say, could get their dive bombers quickly and cheaply maybe without getting fighters first....the Soviets could push out reliable tanks....the USA might be slower to tech initially but mid to late game they could start to get research faster....just examples here, nothing more.
      This would make it more like Civilization (the game) and that is a whole other game.
      Although I don't oppose it, I don't really miss or need it either.
    • At the moment you do have quite a flexible system, which allows you to focus research on your chosen/necessary unit types. So you can build stronger units of your preferred type. Low on oil? research and recruit the infantry and guns etc.
      Kalantigos
      Master Chief Petty Officer.
      Game Moderator
      EN Community Support
      Bytro Labs | Call of War
    • I think this would work if the devs made a new version, like the Historic scenario in S1914? That would be interesting. I am in 3 games now, 3 different countries....it doesn't seem unbalanced, though I did think it would be so when I started. Still, early days.

BTW, aloha Enma :)
      "Om Namah Shivaya....Aham Namah Shivaya"
    • I for one would like to see the infantry automatically recruited like in s1914, I do like the new way, but I feel as though the game is less like s1914 and more like total war, everything else is a welcomed change an I look forward to continue playing. Edit: wrong thread :3
      British=best. Duh!

The post was edited 1 time, last by comrade dave ().