Battle Plans

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Battle Plans

Would you use a battle planner? 27
        Yes (25) 93%
        No (2) 7%
      I think that the addition of some kind of battle plan editor somewhere along the lines of HoI3's battle plan editor would be amazing. Imagine being able to share battle plans with an ally, where you can both draw on the map and give things names and colour codings, allowing allies to better co-ordinate with each other. I'm not suggesting that you do this next part, but something that could be cool is that spies could steal these "battle plans" and you could view your enemies plans. Even if you'd have problems sharing it through the server like you can in HoI3, perhaps you could make it client based where you could save and share a battle plan you made by sending a file to your ally/friend, where he can load it up and view/edit it as his own, and have him send the file back to you.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, look at the attached screenshot. Bunch of different options where you can set arrows pushing towards a position, place bombs over cities you want bombed, put boats in the water to indicate a place you want boats at/to indicate a naval invasion, different colours to account for allies or enemy movements, and quite a bit more. Perhaps putting this exact kind of battle editor into Call of War would be a bit much, but I think it's completely doable with a few less abilities and would be amazing, seeing as this game is completely multiplayer centered as opposed to HoI3's more singleplayer approach.

Would you guys use this? I know I would use it!
      Images
      • Battle Plan.jpg

369.78 kB, 1,599×899, viewed 4,728 times
      "It is a fact that under equal conditions, large-scale battles and whole wars are won by troops which have a strong will for victory, clear goals before them, high moral standards, and devotion to the banner under which they go into battle."
      - Georgy Zhukov

The post was edited 3 times, last by Jordan823 ().

• YES YES YES YES!

This idea is perfect, due to the multi-national community, sometimes trying to type plans goes over peoples head. A drawing would be extremely useful: maybe it could be a new section under 'intelligence' and allow you name your plans and store them up, so you can look them over at anytime- and also allow enemy spies to peak into these folders and take a look.

But seriously, this idea would make my day- and with the 100 player map, its rather a must have.
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01
    • TankBuster wrote:

YES YES YES YES!

This idea is perfect, due to the multi-national community, sometimes trying to type plans goes over peoples head. A drawing would be extremely useful: maybe it could be a new section under 'intelligence' and allow you name your plans and store them up, so you can look them over at anytime- and also allow enemy spies to peak into these folders and take a look.

But seriously, this idea would make my day- and with the 100 player map, its rather a must have.

Haha, that's the main reason I asked for it! I'm in a 100 player map right now, 64 days in and I'm one of the major powers. I have one ally, and we're about a day or two from a massive invasion of the other three countries still alive. I was talking with him and I wanted to co-ordinate better, so I immediately thought of HoI3's battle plan editor. He told me I must suggest it, so here I am. Really hope this gets looked at, it would be absolutely one of the, if not THE, best feature in the game.
      "It is a fact that under equal conditions, large-scale battles and whole wars are won by troops which have a strong will for victory, clear goals before them, high moral standards, and devotion to the banner under which they go into battle."
      - Georgy Zhukov
    • It should do, this idea has been bouncing around for some time. It honestly needs to be put in.

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

• TankBuster wrote:

It should do, this idea has been bouncing around for some time. It honestly needs to be put in.
      Any idea if any admins have said anything about it? I'd be interested to hear a dev/admins thoughts on such a feature, rather interested to hear what they'd think about introducing such a thing, or just how they feel about it personally.
      - Georgy Zhukov
    • No.

Even in HoI 3, it is more of a Role-Playish/Fun thing, than a practical useful tool.

Call of War is a very simple game. You can make your own Battle Plans by:

*Obtain Gimp/Microsoft Paint/Etc
      *Screenshot of your map
      *Draw lines, dots, etc.
      *You now have a Battle Map no different from what you are asking for. Enjoy!
    • CzarHellios wrote:

No.

Even in HoI 3, it is more of a Role-Playish/Fun thing, than a practical useful tool.

*Screenshot of your map
      *Draw lines, dots, etc.

I used it while playing multiplayer with my friend. A lot. It helped.

It adds a something fun to the game, and would be more helpful here than it would be in HoI3, which I found it very helpful in when playing coop with my bud. It was also extremely fun to come up with battle plans with my friend, and while that's not why I suggested it be added into CoW, it would still be awesomely fun to do.

The problem with "making my own battle plan", is that it is not interactive. I tried doing it with paint, I tried doing it with Epic Pen, it is not easy. Had to scale back my screen to 67%, and tried drawing. It would not stack up at all to a battle editor. Ease of use, something any kind of paint program does not have in such a matter.

With Epic Pen, I couldn't move my screen at all, and all it would be good for is a screenshot, which would immediately have to be discarded or heavily edited once something actually changed. Sounds fun to me. With paint, same problem, except worse because you can't view your screen real time, you have to take a new screenshot every day or few hours. With a battle editor, completely avoids both problems. Easily editable, you can move your map around however much you want and it'll still be there where you placed your plans, and more accessible. Easier to share with whoever, and that person can actually make the plans with you. Adds more flavour to a match. Downsides to adding: Makes the game less simple, puts players through less of a hassle, improves gameplay.

I would not be recommending this if there was already a good way to do it, and while there is a way, it is NOT good and does not work well at all. May as well not share it with my friend/ally.

I also imagine that it would be super amazing for role plays. While I'm not part of the role playing bunch in CoW, I can just see it now how much people would love and praise it if it were there for them to use, bundled with the ability for spies to find such plans.

There's nothing to lose here, and much to gain. Oh, I guess we might lose some of the simplicity that's in this game, major loss. Is there a better reason for why such a thing should not be added? And don't give me that "The devs could be better spending their time working on carriers or paratroopers-", that's bogus.
      - Georgy Zhukov

The post was edited 8 times, last by Jordan823 ().

• CzarHellios wrote:

No.

*Screenshot of your map
      *Draw lines, dots, etc.
      Ok, now share it with your ally.
      You can't, unless you get his e-mail, FB or what not. So unless CoW gets a file share, that idea is only useful for one

• I like the idea of a battle planner; it could help communicate between allies and coordinate how an attack/defense is done.

(Plus, I also like making a visible plan for myself to remember my ideas and strategies)
      Le Dawdlepuss, the slowest one of all

"As long as there are sovereign nations possessing power, war is inevitable" -Albert Einstein

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill

• This idea is absolutely perfect. And I LOVE the part about spies being able to steal plans. I have my own suggestions for the spy system as well that I should put together fairly soon to put here, and such a feature would make them (and just the spy system in general, with or without revisions) a LOT more interesting.
      "My flanks are something for the enemy to worry about, not me. Before he finds out where my flanks are, I'll be cutting the bastard's throat."
      - George S. Patton
    • I can imagine adding this feature will level up the "fun" part for some players. However i do also think the extra value it adds to the gameplay is very limited.

Most important for me is in these kin dof games being able to communicate in the (private) chat rooms/ forum/ skype/ whats app/ (diplomacy in game)... You can discuss over there if there is something to discuss. I don't really feel there is a need to work out a lot of off/ def military battle plans on a map with arrows and so on. All can be said in a few words. Basicly you just need some players with some strategical insight, so you don't need much communication/steering at all.

Allowing spies to reveal these plans will make them rather useless imo. Who will use this if you know your enemy can reveal them by day change?
    • Azkazan wrote:

I can imagine adding this feature will level up the "fun" part for some players. However i do also think the extra value it adds to the gameplay is very limited.

Most important for me is in these kin dof games being able to communicate in the (private) chat rooms/ forum/ skype/ whats app/ (diplomacy in game)... You can discuss over there if there is something to discuss. I don't really feel there is a need to work out a lot of off/ def military battle plans on a map with arrows and so on. All can be said in a few words. Basicly you just need some players with some strategical insight, so you don't need much communication/steering at all.

Allowing spies to reveal these plans will make them rather useless imo. Who will use this if you know your enemy can reveal them by day change?

The spies to reveal was merely a thought, and I was thinking there'd be a low chance and it only reveals one plan made from that match.

I have never voice chatted with anybody from the game, I didn't know many people did that outside of playing with friends. But that really isn't me making any kind of point, that's just me. Diplomacy in-game is harder to convey thoughts than if there was some way to share editable battle plans with allies, and I'd beg to differ on "a few arrows" being near useless. Easier said without words than with words, and seeing as spies quite often do find what people say, I could see it being as a much safer, more effective, and interactive way to go about alliances. Hell, moreso than just a few arrows, you could just type thoughts onto a designated area on how you should go about that certain area/territory/whatever else with an ally. Sure, you can do pretty good with diplomacy, and better with skype, but I don't think anything would beat an interactive battle planner with the ability to share with allies.

I would find it useful, you might find it absolutely useless, but I really believe that a lot of people would use it, if not for being useful, for being absolutely fun to mess around with making your own battle plans. I'm also sure that I'm not conveying my thoughts too well, and this is a very opinionated reply, but I felt a reply was needed. Also, it's 2 AM and I'm tired.
      - Georgy Zhukov

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jordan823 ().

• moonswimmer wrote:

This idea is absolutely perfect. And I LOVE the part about spies being able to steal plans. I have my own suggestions for the spy system as well that I should put together fairly soon to put here, and such a feature would make them (and just the spy system in general, with or without revisions) a LOT more interesting.

Yeah, I thought the spy system would be a fun idea, it's just that we wouldn't want to make it so easy of obtaining a players plans. I think you should be able to save plans you've made in other games and be able to lay them out in any other game given it's the same map, but I don't think spies should be able to steal plans from those other games, just any plans you've made in that match. To combat having someone make plans in one match and then import it to the other, evading any chance of spies stealing it, I think you should only be able to carry over plans from other matches that you made before you joined that specific match. I think it could work, but then again, it'd be up to the devs if they even wanted to pursue a battle editor at all.

I also don't think that there should be a high chance of stealing these battle plans, maybe a 10% chance of a battle plan being stolen. To steal plans, you'd put spies in the country you want the plans stolen from under the "Intelligence" branch of spies, and it only steals one every time a spy manages to steal a plan.
      - Georgy Zhukov
    • dawdlepuss wrote:

I like the idea of a battle planner; it could help communicate between allies and coordinate how an attack/defense is done.

(Plus, I also like making a visible plan for myself to remember my ideas and strategies)

Exactly my thinking. In my opinion, it'd be safer and more effective to use a battle planner and refer your allies to it than to use the diplomacy screen. It'd even be useful for those talking outside of the in-game chat, even over the mic.

"Hey dude, you see that red line called 'RG44-RG48'? I'd like you to advance along that line with those divisions while the green line that says 'TL21-TL-25' will be me advancing with those divisions. We should meet up around the yellow circle there in Balkhash, where we can then split our forces up along those two blue lines, cutting off their front line to send reinforcements. We can then send armies RG52-RG71 and TL34-TL49 towards their cut off territory, taking them on easily as TL21-TL25 and RG44-RG48 hold the cut off territories. Our tank divisions in the area highlighted in purple can then be sent straight through the line of territories we made in the red line phase to reinforce RG44-RG48 and TL21-TL25 to further hold the territories against the enemy trying to reopen the line of reinforcements. With no support and the forces on the front having split up to open the line of reinforcements, we will have a time frame where we can make a hard push on their lines, eventually destroying those we entrapped during the red line, green line, and blue line phase. Pretty good plan, eh? All made possible because we made a plan, disallowing them the option to retreat or receive reinforcements."

I left out all of the exchange of talk between the hypothetical buddies using plans over the mic, and I left out a lot of things that could be used such as planned air division attacks and planned naval invasions. This would all be used if it were a real invasion I was planning using a battle editor. Also mind that this was in just one theater, and a 100 player map would see a lot more benefit than just this one scenario. It would all be possible with just talking over the mic or typing it in a chatbox, sure, but it's harder to follow, and you'd better hope that you copied what they typed to you or they made an audio recording. Even if you did both of those things, following to the letter wouldn't be easy, you'd be ordering troops at different times, possibly taking the wrong route, or simply forgetting a certain order that you were supposed to do. Really, really, really do believe that it'd be much more efficient, effective, and more fun with a battle plan editor.
      - Georgy Zhukov

The post was edited 2 times, last by Jordan823 ().

• Hopefully Bytro will think about a system like this, it would definitely be a great addition to the game itself.
      Le Dawdlepuss, the slowest one of all

"As long as there are sovereign nations possessing power, war is inevitable" -Albert Einstein

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill