Your longest battle?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Your longest battle?

Ok guys, whats been your longest and most costly battle, victory or war?

Sadly, I must admit to being caught in a 'Stalingrad' trap: and I mean, I really did get caught in Stalingrad.

My foe was rather unskilled, however what he lacked in tactics and general play style, he made up in sheer army size. As I was playing as Germany, i'd started with a decent panzer force and as the game went on, it had grown into a fully mobile army. Now, Stalingrad for me was just clearing up enemy production and reducing them to a corner in the northern soviet union: this 'clearing up' went on for five bloody days- FIVE OF THEM! MY GLORIOUS PANZER DIVISIONS GOT ABUSED!
      I won the war, and lucky it was the final war before I won on points, but the loses I took in trying to remove a singer city staggered me: as I thought my intelligence and recon flights showed he had few forces (mostly low-level AT guns, militia: the cheap stuff which unless upgraded, is useless) but he drew reserves in from provinces in the north and retreating down from Moscow. I don't know why he left Moscow open, but if his goal was to ruin my week and cause me to start begging various Gods for victory (including animal sacrifice) he got his wish.
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01
    • ((Keep in mind, this was a HUGE Battle, on day 94))
      I was once caught in a battle against the Soviets in a province just south of Moscow. I was the Swedes, and I had just taken Leningrad for a relatively low cost and short timing. Feeling good, I scout ahead to find a small force of 2 militias heading toward an unguarded province. Thinking that it would be an easy target, and the only unguarded province was the one where the Militia was going, I thought I'd take a large force of 20 Heavy tanks, 15 med tanks, 20 light tanks, and a large 40 units of infantry, with a fighter or two overhead. My tanks and infantry were all maxed out, and so we engaged the lvl 6 but weak militia. Yet, as soon as we took them down, he had Mobile Artillery just a minute away, and started bombing my large force of 95 troops. My bombers took them down only to find an equal size force heading my way.

By the time the battle finally took place, we had reinforced our armies to a whopping 150 troops, and the Soviets at 153. The battle finally begun, and we both ended up feeding our ENTIRE armies into this one battle. The battle itself lasted for a week and a half, until finally, I lost.

The Total Casualties (Not counting Newspaper ones, which were over 2 million each :I)) were
      SWEDEN: about 300 total land units, and about 200 Air Units
      U.S.S.R.: About 290 Land units, and 200 Air units.

The result was the rest of the war being fought with small average groups of around 5 infantry and 1 AT, plus maybe a tank or two.

I only won the war because my armored cars outflanked and captured lands behind lines....

I was soon conquered by a fresh British Army.
      We, the Chicken Liberation Army, are a powerful group, setting out to free all chicken brethren from the wretched hunger of Humans. Together, we shall avenge our fallen brethren, save our families, and stop the consumption of our fellow Chickens. Join us, and you too, can become a hero, among Chickens...

The Chicken Liberation Army Needs You!
    • I would have raged so hard! Jesus, he put up a good fight though. To be honest, I like it when the enemy fights hard and doesn't give in, its a change from the norm.
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01
    • Who doesn't love a good fight?

But that battle was tiring though. and I didn't even mention the casualties when We both tried outflanking each other, which would make it even higher.
      We, the Chicken Liberation Army, are a powerful group, setting out to free all chicken brethren from the wretched hunger of Humans. Together, we shall avenge our fallen brethren, save our families, and stop the consumption of our fellow Chickens. Join us, and you too, can become a hero, among Chickens...

The Chicken Liberation Army Needs You!
    • An 8 day battle for the city of panama owned by North Mexico, because i was still new at the game and didn't account for the city environment effect on my tank division of 17, so i lost ALL of them ;( . It took me three days to get reinforcements to it, by then it was taken by Columbia, who had 23 unit div in it, and a 26 unit div in south Central America. So, I send numerous troops and air force to take out both. By then Columbia went inactive, so the AI splits both division into multiple brigades, regiments, and divisions, and sets them loose onto the surrounding area. So, then i had to hunt down each and every one of them all while attacking the largest div in Panama. After numerous losses, and near escapes, I finally took out the last free range unit and then captured the city. I lost so many troops in this operation, that my resource production multiplied 5x-10x. Overall not how i wanted the campaign to go... :wallbash BTW, I was Peru, and this battle started on day 7.
    • I believe my longest was a 2 week fight in a team battle across the Baltic and Finnish area section of Nordic areas, playing as Russia, it was quite intense, with the advantage shifting back and forth constantly, and it was a massive pain as reinforcements took several days to arrive from each of the Russian cities.

Was a ton of fun though since my opponent was well matched, eventually after a series of victories the battle ended with a Russian victory, although total casualties on both sides were above 160k.
      Not sure to count it as a battle due to size and length, but units and casualties were being taken every day, and time between clashes was never long.
      Kalantigos
      Master Chief Petty Officer.
      Game Moderator
      EN Community Support
      Bytro Labs | Call of War
    • My longest battle lasted for 2 and a half weeks. I was USA and my enemy was Britain. We were the two most powerful countries. One day the world broke out into two alliances: Britain and Sweden against USA and Russia. I was allied to the Russian from the start of the game. And so Britain and Sweden said that they are all going to attack Russia. I satayed loyal to it. And so war broke out. The two biggest naval powers, me and Uk started fighting in the Atlantic. I did have territories in Spain but with too little troops and so I had to send all of my troops to Spain and Uk, tough fight but in the end I won.
      :00008356:

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't"
      -George S. Patton

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"
      - Albert Einstein

• By far the longest victory I ever had was the game I currently still have running. It all began with it's own little prelude, you see in this server, I was playing as the Soviet Union (and learned from past games that running and playing imperialist isn't always the best way to start so I normally start by building up large defenses and army divisions, which normally works out for me now), and Germany had built itself into a Super Empire, conquering Canada, most of Europe, Cuba, and most of Africa. Germany had controlled around 200 Victory points at its peak. However, in his war against France (originally my ally before becoming inactive and replaced by an AI), he began to fall back a little as France began to take command and take back its territories. And it probably wasn't smart on Germany's behalf to go to war with Turkey at the same time, which resulted in major German casualties. Germany had become inactive, and France took back its territories with the addition of Belgium.

At the same time however, the United Kingdom had decided to side with Germany and staged a large Bombing campaign on the French shores, while at the same time taking the remaining French colonies in Africa. As of now the war between Britain and France is still going, with a stalemate, a divided France between the French and British.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, the part where I came in was about right after Germany had lost France and Belgium, and I realized I was running low on Oil and Food supply because of my large army size (which is my fault because of all the T-54 medium tank divisions, but hey, they work), and I didn't like the fact that Germany was so close to the Soviet borders and had built German nuclear reactors in Polish territories like Warsaw and Brest-Litovsk (which was a 4-5 day battle). So my friend had continuously encouraged my to invade the German territories. I started with massive Rocket barrages and had sent armies to immediately take the fractured German controlled provinces in Finland and Norway.

The war was majorly in my favor, with little Soviet casualties and carving deep into German territories, with me gaining Nearly all of eastern Europe. About halfway through the war, I noticed that western Germany may have been either weakened by the war with France, or was fortified as a result of the war. Either way, I wasn't taking chances and would use this to my advantage and sent a large army consisting of Heavy tanks, medium tanks, artillery, anti-tank, infantry, anti-air, and militia through France, and into West Germany, beginning the first fall of a Core German Province. It wasn't long until my divisions on the Eastern front had reached Germany and immediately started taking the territories through Brute force.

By the time the war was reaching its close, there was only Berlin left to serve as the final step to forcing Germany out of the European Mainland. it started with 15 artillery regiments surrounding the capital, hounding any troop produced to defend it. Then, Berlin finally fell (after I nuked it a couple of times, by request of my friend). I began to rebuild the productive buildings in Germany and rebuilt my armies in case of future war. I then dispatched more armies to take the remnants of Germany, which were beginning to fall to other nations due to rebellions after the fall of Berlin. I took fast action and took Iceland and Greenland from Germany, and just barely got one Canadian province. Then I got to Africa, were the Germans put up a little bit of a fight, but still were losing the course of the war. There were some major issues, with most of the Western African coast falling under Spanish control and trapping one of my armies in the process. But then Germany's remaining Tank brigades fell, and as of now, Germany has only a few African territories left.

The highlight of the war was a day long fight between a German Railroad gun and my Tank destroyer. THAT was a close fight, but the Railroad gun won.

Victory points as of now: 303

German Casualties: 212,950

Soviet Casualties: 72,084
    • Should I have held out like that or not? 13

The result is only visible to the participants.

My tutorial game. It went on for 57 days. The war really started on day 25. The only players left at this time were Yugoslavia(181 VPs), Russian Empire(93 VPs), Morocco(224 VPs), and Greater Finland (me, 298 VPs).I had taken France and the UK from Morocco without a fight after he attacked some of my men in England. I was allied with Yugoslavia and the Russian Empire at the time.

Morocco then suddenly slammed my men with tactical bombers (which I wasn't prepared for considering it was my first game). After the tactical bombers struck, his armored brigades (mostly mediums) came over the border from Spain as my men started a full retreat. Yugoslavia then betrayed me and struck my weak underbelly, and my army of 100 (also mostly mediums) fell back to an easy defense line.

As they started their assault, I realized they had more men than I did, so I sent my armored brigades to blitzkrieg their undefended territories after they slipped through the enemies defenses. I almost got to Paris with one (that was Morocco's cap at the time). Another went all the way to Greece and launched off into Africa. I then promptly blitzed that until my light tanks were finally stopped right at Morocco's homeland. A third got to Yugoslavia's cap (still Belgrade). The fourth group was destroyed before it took out anything that major.

As these guys died off, I had a smaller force ready to try and counter made up of SP artillery, SP anti-air, tank destroyers, and medium tanks. They were made in nearby factories and brought into one province to counter an attack. I used this one to delay the enemy while I built up another one further back. That one was used in the same fashion. The last few were pulled back as Morocco and Yugoslavia drew close. They eventually had to stop because if they kept pulling back, my homeland would be assaulted. They held back one or two assault from the enemy, but they eventually succumbed.

While that happened, I was spamming Anti-Tank guns along with Anti-Air (and where possible, artillery) in my urban areas. This kept the war going for much longer. When their first men entered my homeland, my UK provinces were still mysteriously untouched, and Morocco had invaded my Swedish and Norwegian territories, making his new capital Oslo.

As the assaults started on my cities, Leningrad proved to be the toughest. The forces in Leningrad weren't the largest of my forces, but they held back two or three assaults by Yugoslavia before falling. My African cities also turned out to be resilient due to lack of large enemy forces in the area, and high level factories generously provided by Morocco. (through all of this the Russian Empire was being thoroughly beaten by Yugoslavia). It was day 40 at this point.

Eventually, my homeland fell and only my UK provinces plus a few outcast territories (gained by the last of my motorized divisions) remained. I only had two destroyers, 3 interceptors, and the assorted anti-tank, anti-air, and artillery regiments I had just started making (I never expected the UK to be my last stand).

Eventually, I built up my air force to 5 interceptors, 3 tactical bombers, and 3 strategic bombers (that were always bombarding city's buildings into nothing). My land force in the UK had 24 anti-tank guns and 4 anti-air guns (Morocco's air force had disappeared so I had grown a bit lazy there). My navy was 9 destroyers strong and had set up a loose screen around England. I had actually launched a counter-offensive in Africa with anti-tank guns, anti-air, and artillery atm.

Then everything went to hell again. Rocket attacks and Tactical bombers destroyed my entire air force due to it being stationed in one place and my interceptors not providing air cover. Morocco then promptly slipped 70-80 of his divisions into England. I had all of my units pulled out and relocated to my capital which was Dublin. Everyone made it out alive, and my destroyers set up a screen so tight, that there was only 1 or 2 entry points available. All the other landing points for Ireland were covered by 2 destroyer squadrons. My forces in Africa had been obliterated by an attack by Yugoslavia.

Then, before any more invasions, the game ended. I'm still not sure whether Yugoslavia collected enough VPs (Morocco didn't take nearly as much land as Yugoslavia), or everyone voted to retire (there were already 2 out of 3 votes cast to retire). For all of my trouble, I only got 55 gold pieces.

The final casualty counts were:
      Morocco: 235,106 Yugoslavia: 154,787 Yugoslavia: 87,609
      Greater Finland: 190,416 Greater Finland: 154,221 Russian Empire: 114,657

Total Casualties:
      Morocco+Yugoslavia: 477,502
      Greater Finland+Russian Empire: 459,294
      Apparently, that's what holding out to the end does. (note: there may have been more casualties due to un-updated casualty reports in the newspaper).
      Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.
      -Winston Churchill

Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching.
      -George S. Patton

The post was edited 3 times, last by Kehsct ().

• Lol, mine's a short post.

Mine was a war, and one I won. I was the USA. I controlled the continent of 'Murica, and had my eyes set on the rapidly-expanding German empire. I landed in France (my ally), set up shop next to the German border, waited until he started attacking the USSR, and invaded. He didn't put up a fight. I had everything after 3 days of battle. Well, I decided to attack the USSR and Sweden. I split my troops in half. The troops I sent to Sweden got wiped out by a 1000+ rocket attack. I sent the troops I had in the USSR against Sweden, bar 10 heavy tanks. This was my tutorial game, and I thought that heavy tanks were SO good. Lol, good, but extremely slow. The USSR had no troops (Germany had wiped them out), but it took my heavy tanks like 2 weeks to invade everything. Man, that was agony.
      The past is a foreign country.
    • Longest battle i ever had was between me and as Spain and Germany, i had captured Great Britain and France, Germany had Poland and all other kind of countries, we got stuck in the middle of Germany near Berlin. He build up a really nice defence so my troops just died and i got stuck there, so i built up my own defences so it was all first world war over again, i tried to attack, i failed and then he tried but no one ever really got trough, until i once cheated i guess and took in planes and navy which he didn't spend his technology points on. so i won but there's been more battles like that i've lost, that trench battle was for about 1 week if not a couple more days
      My Regards
      Mathex319
      EN community
      Senior Game Operator
    • Kehsct wrote:

My tutorial game. It went on for 57 days. The war really started on day 25. The only players left at this time were Yugoslavia(181 VPs), Russian Empire(93 VPs), Morocco(224 VPs), and Greater Finland (me, 298 VPs).I had taken France and the UK from Morocco without a fight after he attacked some of my men in England. I was allied with Yugoslavia and the Russian Empire at the time.

Morocco then suddenly slammed my men with tactical bombers (which I wasn't prepared for considering it was my first game). After the tactical bombers struck, his armored brigades (mostly mediums) came over the border from Spain as my men started a full retreat. Yugoslavia then betrayed me and struck my weak underbelly, and my army of 100 (also mostly mediums) fell back to an easy defense line.

As they started their assault, I realized they had more men than I did, so I sent my armored brigades to blitzkrieg their undefended territories after they slipped through the enemies defenses. I almost got to Paris with one (that was Morocco's cap at the time). Another went all the way to Greece and launched off into Africa. I then promptly blitzed that until my light tanks were finally stopped right at Morocco's homeland. A third got to Yugoslavia's cap (still Belgrade). The fourth group was destroyed before it took out anything that major.

As these guys died off, I had a smaller force ready to try and counter made up of SP artillery, SP anti-air, tank destroyers, and medium tanks. They were made in nearby factories and brought into one province to counter an attack. I used this one to delay the enemy while I built up another one further back. That one was used in the same fashion. The last few were pulled back as Morocco and Yugoslavia drew close. They eventually had to stop because if they kept pulling back, my homeland would be assaulted. They held back one or two assault from the enemy, but they eventually succumbed.

While that happened, I was spamming Anti-Tank guns along with Anti-Air (and where possible, artillery) in my urban areas. This kept the war going for much longer. When their first men entered my homeland, my UK provinces were still mysteriously untouched, and Morocco had invaded my Swedish and Norwegian territories, making his new capital Oslo.

As the assaults started on my cities, Leningrad proved to be the toughest. The forces in Leningrad weren't the largest of my forces, but they held back two or three assaults by Yugoslavia before falling. My African cities also turned out to be resilient due to lack of large enemy forces in the area, and high level factories generously provided by Morocco. (through all of this the Russian Empire was being thoroughly beaten by Yugoslavia). It was day 40 at this point.

Eventually, my homeland fell and only my UK provinces plus a few outcast territories (gained by the last of my motorized divisions) remained. I only had two destroyers, 3 interceptors, and the assorted anti-tank, anti-air, and artillery regiments I had just started making (I never expected the UK to be my last stand).

Eventually, I built up my air force to 5 interceptors, 3 tactical bombers, and 3 strategic bombers (that were always bombarding city's buildings into nothing). My land force in the UK had 24 anti-tank guns and 4 anti-air guns (Morocco's air force had disappeared so I had grown a bit lazy there). My navy was 9 destroyers strong and had set up a loose screen around England. I had actually launched a counter-offensive in Africa with anti-tank guns, anti-air, and artillery atm.

Then everything went to hell again. Rocket attacks and Tactical bombers destroyed my entire air force due to it being stationed in one place and my interceptors not providing air cover. Morocco then promptly slipped 70-80 of his divisions into England. I had all of my units pulled out and relocated to my capital which was Dublin. Everyone made it out alive, and my destroyers set up a screen so tight, that there was only 1 or 2 entry points available. All the other landing points for Ireland were covered by 2 destroyer squadrons. My forces in Africa had been obliterated by an attack by Yugoslavia.

Then, before any more invasions, the game ended. I'm still not sure whether Yugoslavia collected enough VPs (Morocco didn't take nearly as much land as Yugoslavia), or everyone voted to retire (there were already 2 out of 3 votes cast to retire). For all of my trouble, I only got 55 gold pieces.

The final casualty counts were:

Morocco: 235,106 Yugoslavia: 154,787 Yugoslavia: 87,609

Greater Finland: 190,416 Greater Finland: 154,221 Russian Empire: 114,657

Total Casualties:

Morocco+Yugoslavia: 477,502

Greater Finland+Russian Empire: 459,294

Apparently, that's what holding out to the end does. (note: there may have been more casualties due to un-updated casualty reports in the newspaper).
      Who was the guy that voted on this?
      Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.
      -Winston Churchill

Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching.
      -George S. Patton
    • Interesting thread!

"I came, I saw, I conquered" Written in a report to Rome 47 B.C., after conquering Pharnaces at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days; as quoted in Life of Caesar by Plutarch; reported to have been inscribed on one of the decorated wagons in the Pontic triumph, in Lives of the Twelve Caesars, Julius, by Suetonius.

"Alea iacta est" Gaius Julius Caesar.
    • longest battle....

Still playing started on the 4th November when the world map was released. I was playing as Illinious and had a successful early game

what happened then was the north america, was divided, between myself, Northwest, Texas and Cali against all the rest. Well the war then was really against Alberta, Mexico and Colorado.. I managed to defeat Alberta however we lost cali as well as Texas.. I beat Colorado out, however Mexico pilled right in, and then we were slowly driven back.. I lost all my core provinces, and was holding out just from a few provinces in Alberta, and Northwest was also hanging in

I made allies with Madagascar, I was able to produce AT and Militia and try sneak them back into northern Canada.. I managed to launch a counter attack, and was successful, I slowly managed to break them, after weeks of on and off assaults and defeats, we managed to drive them from North america, and back to Mexico, we followed them and defeated them..

We then set allies with the other major powers, and now hunt down a last few VP points to finish the game...
      day 148, still rebuilding my infra across my core..

otherwise, a game lasted 129 days, 22 playa, won that very easy

If Socialists understood Economics, they wouldn't be socialists
      -Friedrich von Haye

• Have quite a few world maps gone beyond 120 days some lost, some won. Long and tiresome battles between both single nations as well as large coalitions taking land back and forth, nuking, bombing, hunting and often taking away both sleep and other human needs.

Once you reach 1500-2000 VP things start to mellow out and become easy unless up against good players or golders.

Epic battles between UA (United something) and American coalition:

Many, many single wars and long battles:

:
      Sincerely, wildL
      EN Mod
      Report a problem

• Yes wildL , 1305523 has been an absolute epic.

Great enemies and great allies coming and going, and never a dull moment. Some of the comments in the Newspaper early in the game were gems worthy of immortalisation :beer:

I cannot believe how many provinces have been lost and recaptured multiple times :tumbleweed:

More games like this one are much needed :thumbsup:
    • Moved to Off Topic.

"I came, I saw, I conquered" Written in a report to Rome 47 B.C., after conquering Pharnaces at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days; as quoted in Life of Caesar by Plutarch; reported to have been inscribed on one of the decorated wagons in the Pontic triumph, in Lives of the Twelve Caesars, Julius, by Suetonius.

• My longest went 5 days. It was between two level 1 subs who could hardly shoot. I had to bring in a Naval Bomber to finish it.
      Carl Wilson

“Dad, how do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?”
      ― Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages 1985-1995: An Exhibition Catalogue

"Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war, is: 'Do not march on Moscow'… Rule 2 is: 'Do not go fighting with your land armies in China."
      Bernard Law Montgomery, British general
    • Carl Wilson wrote:

My longest went 5 days. It was between two level 1 subs who could hardly shoot. I had to bring in a Naval Bomber to finish it.
      Interesting.