Combat Mathematics.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Combat Mathematics.

Hello, im not sure if this is the correct place for my question, or if i will even be allowed an answer but here goes.

After playing for a few days i have noticed the rather complex combat mechanics with terrain, forts, unit types ect.
      my question to you is: is it possible for anyone to tell me (ideally via a private message if possible) the math behind an attack?

as i have tried to explain to members in global i understand that each unit is added together, their stats are individually affected by terrain, and the army as a whole is given a defencive buff if there is a fortress.

i would like to know the order in which these events happen my current theory is this:

Units are all given their terrain bonuses from being in a city*

City setting:

3 Infantry 3.0 = 3.0
      2 armoured car 2.0 -50% = 1.0
      1 Light tank 2.5 -50% =1.25

== 3.0 , 1.0 , 1.25.

Units are now added together with their new base stats.

3+1+1.25 = 5.25

All units are now given a defence boost if they are inside a fortress.

level 1 fortress 32%
      1.32*5.25 =

6.93 strength.

However if done in a different order such as:

All units are now given a defence boost if they are inside a fortress.

3 Infantry 3.0 32% = 3.96
      2 armoured car 2.0 32% = 2.64
      1 Light tank 2.5 32% = 3.3

units are then given their terrain bonuses.

3 Infantry 3.96
      2 armoured car 2.64 -50% = 1.32
      1 Light tank 3.3 -50% = 1.65

Units are added together

awkward, they are the same so the chat was right and it doesnt matter..

nonetheless, is this the correct formula?
    • Yes. To find what will win in a fight, click each unit and compare it's stats against the other's armor type and hit points. If there is a terrain bonus, it must be multiplied into the power of the units it affects. Fortifications would be multiplied into the entire defending force, if they are within fortifications. Remember there is a slight X factor.
      Free Time looks good on me
    • also i understand that unit speed is a factor. slower units are taken out first?

im curious how armies of scale fight, if a force of 50 VS 50, is there focus fire with units droping rapidly?.
      for example would ones entire force focus down the slowest moving target first?

is it possible to give me the formula to the X factor?
    • After mulling it over last night, i realised this is going to be a lot harder than i anticipated.
      i also need to know how combat takes place for example.

if i have 2 tanks, 5 infantry VS 1anti-tank and 7 infantry. does the anti-tank attack the tanks first? and the infantry fight eachother? if this happens the anti tank army should win, but if all the anti-tank units fought the enemy infantry the 2 tank army would win.

is there some sort of formula to determine which units are attacking what? or does each unit attack whichever enemy it will deal the most damage to?
    • The exact order and combination of the combat algorithm is kept secret. However there are some rules of thumb.

1. Try to attack using the rock paper scissors mind set.
      • That is to say each unit has advantages and disadvantages based on terrain and armor class use the best unit in the proper location.
      2. The more unit type in an attack (stacking limit) the less percentage of attack power is used within an attack.
      • For, example 5 light tanks attack at 100% State-based damage efficiency if they are level 3 the damage they will do is 100 points, but if you have 10 in a stack the attack 76% State-based damage efficiency or about 150 - 175 points .
      • The bigger the stack gets the less efficient it will become. (So as a strategy you might want to attack from two different directions with two stacks of 5 which would give you 200 points of damage vs 150 - 175.
      3. With the above said there are also other factors like moral and terrain which can change that number.

On a personal note -- I try not to mix Armor and other units as it tends to slow them down and you loose the advantage of speed dragging such things as AA and artillery.

I Blitz with Tanks with good air support is the best means of moving fast, but dont forget that Tanks suck in cities so dont attack them unless they are empty.
    • Thank you guys, that is some good information. i would be greatly dissapointed to learn that the exact information is kept secret :(

if i am unable to obtain the information regardig attack order, i have a few other ideas but i woould really need the info.

Is there contact details somewhere i can look up for the right people to perhaps arrange an email to request sensitive data?

i am a student currently studying interactive and digital media at an online college (videogames course) where i am studying the use of 3dsmax and unreal engine. the information about this games combat would be a good experience for me as i have a few ideas that i would like to discuss with the game developers.
    • You can think about it like in terms of mathematics. In the end the combat engine is ran by math whether it's secret or not. The numbers that you see when looking at the attack and defense vs others are more than likely multipliers in the algorithm they use to run the combat engine.

If you are wondering whether or not physics plays into it, i would say not much going on there. Technically a blast from a tank could kill dozens of infantry, if they were standing right in front of it. However outside of a rear tank gunner one infantry is perfectly safe behind the tank but what damage could he possibly do to it?

In this game, lets say you have 5 Militia & 1 Tank against 1 Tank.

When the one tank fires at the group the damage is not spread around amongst all the stack members but is, at different ratios, to other types of units in the group. Meaning that the only militia that will take damage is the first one in the stack and not all of them. The second in the stack doesn't get hurt until the first one is dead unless the damage is high enough to kill more than one at a time. The tank will also take damage but at a lesser rate.

When the group fires back however instead of lower power coming from all 5, let's just say the first one is dead and the second one is at 70%, you get a hit at 70% from the one guy but 100% from the other 3. This is just the way they have it at the moment, I would think that will eventually change as certain units should be able to damage everyone in the group whether they are stacked or not. From a hit point perspective, damage is damage but then again the last 3 guys in the group didn't even get a scratch from the tank blast.

What would be cool to figure out is when you go in a fight with a good mix of units against a good mix of units and to know who is going to damage what first. This can be determined though.

You can start a game with a buddy to test out and figure out how they are calculating it as it's not random function, simple math that's all :)
      "It is even better to act quickly and err than to hesitate until the time of action is past." - Karl Von Clausewitz

The post was edited 3 times, last by ATownGtr ().