A Failed Strategy Game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A Failed Strategy Game

I signed in and played my first campaign to see what this game was all about. Frankly I'm not impressed. It's a bunch of copy/pasted German and American units with no effort to represent the various factions that took part in WWII. You didn't even bother to try to implement basic equipment for the various countries involved. This is just lazy game development that took the easy way out and now they expect you to wait around while they casually release new units as if they're doing you a favor for adding something that should have been done in the first place. I'm getting tired of these recent gaming companies focusing on WWII and touting some sort of variety of nations only to see the same bull.

Do I really care that you guys eventually got around to releasing some Japanese units that should've already been in the game in the first place? I'm expected to wait around months/years for basic game content that should have already been included since day one? And spend money in the meantime? I have 4 other WWII era strategy/operational games with Finnish, Italian, Romanian and even Spanish units used on the eastern front. Why would I care about playing your copy/pasted units? Heck, most strategy/operational games from the late 1990s that I still own offer more content than this sub standard nonsense you've created.

Look, I realize the WWII era contains an almost infinite number of different weapons/equipment/uniforms for more countries and factions that I'm willing to count, but you didn't even attempt to cover the basics. It's like you thought you would get away with releasing a half baked game with skeletal content and everyone would just play along.

Not me folks. I'm seeing this sloppy, lazy tactic used more and more by these recent gaming companies where they release generic game content and expect everyone to follow along while they promise to release basic crap in the future that should have been part of the game from the get go. What's worse is they expect you to pay and fund them along the way. I really have no intention of sticking around and waiting. There's already better alternatives out there.
    • Cryptozz wrote:

I signed in and played my first campaign to see what this game was all about. Frankly I'm not impressed. It's a bunch of copy/pasted German and American units with no effort to represent the various factions that took part in WWII. You didn't even bother to try to implement basic equipment for the various countries involved. This is just lazy game development that took the easy way out and now they expect you to wait around while they casually release new units as if they're doing you a favor for adding something that should have been done in the first place. I'm getting tired of these recent gaming companies focusing on WWII and touting some sort of variety of nations only to see the same bull.

Do I really care that you guys eventually got around to releasing some Japanese units that should've already been in the game in the first place? I'm expected to wait around months/years for basic game content that should have already been included since day one? And spend money in the meantime? I have 4 other WWII era strategy/operational games with Finnish, Italian, Romanian and even Spanish units used on the eastern front. Why would I care about playing your copy/pasted units? Heck, most strategy/operational games from the late 1990s that I still own offer more content than this sub standard nonsense you've created.

Look, I realize the WWII era contains an almost infinite number of different weapons/equipment/uniforms for more countries and factions that I'm willing to count, but you didn't even attempt to cover the basics. It's like you thought you would get away with releasing a half baked game with skeletal content and everyone would just play along.

Not me folks. I'm seeing this sloppy, lazy tactic used more and more by these recent gaming companies where they release generic game content and expect everyone to follow along while they promise to release basic crap in the future that should have been part of the game from the get go. What's worse is they expect you to pay and fund them along the way. I really have no intention of sticking around and waiting. There's already better alternatives out there.
      If you don't like it, leave. We won't miss you.
      It's been a while
    • You don't understand. I don't care if I'll be missed or if you still like the game despite its flaws. I didn't write the post for the local fanboys and sheep that would inevitably show up to defend their latest crappy pixel making god. I wrote this to educate and warn the poor shmuck that comes along after me and wastes his time.

And hopefully some of these gaming developers will stop releasing games that contain nowhere near the amount of content as advertised. I don't need to play some random country with the same copy/pasted crates, wheat, steel, and spy icons with slightly different copy/pasted production, research, and whatever mechanics with the country you decide to play. What I do need is the basic units from the various countries advertised in a game that brags about being able to play various nations. The different military units are the only thing that truly separates one nation from the other. They effect strategy, performance and how you form alliances. Otherwise, it just becomes copy/paste factory building with no real variety between the chosen nations.

This game should never have been release in this infantile stage.
    • ok buddy, catch ya later.
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01
    • I was a little disappointed in the beginning as well ..I have bought some gold in hopes they would take their profit and better the game...I am sticking around because it is fun , and for the most part the people are great...I do hope to see air craft carriers, and added units sooner than later....If ya love the fight you will stay...If not go back to your other games...If ya already had better why are you wasting your time posting here, and not playing there?
    • Cryptozz wrote:

You don't understand. I don't care if I'll be missed or if you still like the game despite its flaws. I didn't write the post for the local fanboys and sheep that would inevitably show up to defend their latest crappy pixel making god. I wrote this to educate and warn the poor shmuck that comes along after me and wastes his time.

And hopefully some of these gaming developers will stop releasing games that contain nowhere near the amount of content as advertised. I don't need to play some random country with the same copy/pasted crates, wheat, steel, and spy icons with slightly different copy/pasted production, research, and whatever mechanics with the country you decide to play. What I do need is the basic units from the various countries advertised in a game that brags about being able to play various nations. The different military units are the only thing that truly separates one nation from the other. They effect strategy, performance and how you form alliances. Otherwise, it just becomes copy/paste factory building with no real variety between the chosen nations.

This game is a beta test anyway soooo....

Did you, perchance, lose you first match?
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Cryptozz wrote:

You don't understand. I don't care if I'll be missed or if you still like the game despite its flaws. I didn't write the post for the local fanboys and sheep that would inevitably show up to defend their latest crappy pixel making god. I wrote this to educate and warn the poor shmuck that comes along after me and wastes his time.

Okay, cool. Bye-bye now.
      It's been a while
    • Personally, I don't really care what the units look like. I know some do but I'm more interested in playability, how strategy works in the game and how constrained or free your actions are, balance, level of bugs, time spent on doing routine tasks vs planning and fighting, ability to play without gold etc. As far as the appearance of units go, I just want to be able to distinguish one from the other and friend from foe.
    • you can it's called "unit highlights" red means baddies, green means friendlies, and those with no highlights are yours.
      when play-ability is the question and the strategies that's another topic but there are no shortage of it.
      "Victory needs no explenation, defeat allows none"
      -imperium thought of the day
    • Cryptozz wrote:

I played Axis and Allies to see what the board game was all about. Frankly I'm not impressed. It's a bunch of plastic German and American units with no effort to represent the various factions that took part in WWII. You didn't even bother to trying to vary the combat unit stats for the various countries involved. THe american tanks have the same stats as the German ones and you cant even research better ones! This is just lazy game development that took the easy way out and now they expect you to wait around while they casually release new units as if they're doing you a favor for adding something that should have been done in the first place. I'm getting tired of these recent board game companies focusing on WWII and touting some sort of variety of nations only to see the same bull, different plastic units same combat stats between nations.

Do I really care that you guys eventually got around to releasing some Japanese plastic units that should've already been in the game in the first place? I'm expected to wait around months/years for basic game content that should have already been included since day one? And spend money in the meantime? I have 4 other WWII era strategy/operational games with British, German,American and even Japanese units used on the eastern front. Why would I care about playing with your plastic units?

Look, I realize the WWII era contains an almost infinite number of different weapons/equipment/uniforms for more countries and factions that I'm willing to count, but you didn't even attempt to cover the basics you have AA Industrial complex, Fighter, tank, infantry, bomber, transport, sub cruiser battleship destroyer, strat bomber carrier and thats it! No Vegenace rockets, not commandos, and all the inits have the same stats! . It's like you thought you would get away with releasing a half baked game with skeletal content and everyone would just play along.

Not me folks. I'm seeing this sloppy, lazy tactic used more and more by these recent board game companies where they release generic plastic units and expect everyone to follow along while they promise to release different plastic models in the future that should have been part of the game from the get go. Take risk for example, they didn't even bother to make different faction units, they have wooden blocks as units! Ive waited years for a update to Risk but to no avail no new units it still uses dice god the company that made risk is such a scammer What's worse is they expect you to pay and fund them along the way. I really have no intention of sticking around and waiting.
    • So looks like some are complaining about the loss of reality in this game?? Well, lets say, Call of War is super close to reality, so every game would go the same way:
      Germany starts with super an super army and a superior Airfleet. [Not] Surprisingly, Germany overwhelmes everybody else on Europe. Eventually, the tides turn and the Sovietunion, GB and the USA are fighting back Germany and defeating him. Thats probably how every game would go, if its realisitic. Because if the game doesnt go like this, the game ignores history and it wouldnt be realistic anymore...

Thats definitevely not the game anyone wants to play.

Even if you dont give Germany his superior army at the beginning but to make german tanks stronger, it would be unfair. Would you like to play as France, if you know that your neighbour Germany has stronger tanks than you? (Tanks are key units in early game)
      Probably no one wants to play as France just to be overwhelmed every game... its a question of balancing. So its simply not possible to make the same unit of one nation stronger than the other one.

I dont know how you can say this game is the result of lazy developement. This game may not be that detailed(even though it is in comparison to S1914^^), but thats what makes this game Call of War. Less player would play a game, if its more complicated. I doubt if its a goal of the developers.

Johnsen
      #Cake FTW
    • Quasi-duck wrote:

Actually, France only lost thanks to their terrible strategies, not they're units. Better tanks, forts and all.
      Yes– in the Battle of France, British and French tanks outnumbered the Germans 3 to 2. The British and French simply took the bait in the Netherlands and the Germans went around the Maginot.
      It's been a while
    • The game works and is realistic. That's all I care about.
      Carl Wilson

“Dad, how do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?”
      ― Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages 1985-1995: An Exhibition Catalogue

"Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war, is: 'Do not march on Moscow'… Rule 2 is: 'Do not go fighting with your land armies in China."
      Bernard Law Montgomery, British general