Strategic Unit Upgrades

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Strategic Unit Upgrades

Greetings.

Ive played this game nearly a month. And I've seen A LOT of space for improvement. Besides what other say about new units, parachutes, railroads and air transports, I think there are some upgrades that could help the game in being more strategic and fun.

Submarines got nerfed I know, and no one seems to bother the fact they are not stealthy, nor hidden from other units, specificaly from destroyers now. So in order to re balace things, submarines should be completely hidden when waiting orders, from all units. Detectable only when in movement. Also, adding the following command "Fire At Will" which would attack any naval unit on sight. Otherwise, remain undetected. This give submarines the respect they deserve and still be realistic, giving the whole game this "cold war" feeling.

Everyone want new units, but what about buildings?
      Hospitals: Gives a bonus on morale recovery by certain ammount to all infantry
      Workshop: Gives a bonus on morale recovery by certain ammount to all mechanized units.
      Tech Lab: "see below" It can only be built in the capital.

Also, "morale". We all know its Health Points. In fact, in the unit description the same percentage is called health points. So why confuse rookies. On cities makes sense, since provinces dont have Health points. But on units call it what it is.

My most daring change will be a sort of science lab, or tech lab, giving some units special habilities or enhancements. Since armor and firepower are upgrades on the investigation tree, This would act as a second tree, independent from the first. And this, is where we could use a lot of strategy to improve units on other aspect besides power and defense.

- Mechanized units could have better wheels, improving speed
      - Infantry could have a "medic trainee" of basic training in first aid, or better personal medic supplies, that could improve morale recovery rate with a bonus of 25%, 50%.
      - Airplanes could have supply fuel in flight, improving its range.
      - NAval units could have enhanced sonar or radar, giving them better vision range (which makes sense since at sea there are not obstacles that could impede vision), completely useful feature since they are at sea, and the sea is vast. Too vast to just cover every point.

Every upgrade should have some levels, or at least for being more throurough, by specific unit.

This I know, would require a lot of thought, and testing, but would improve the game greatly.

Thanks for reading me, I hope to be taken seriously, being only a noobie.
    • Submarines are visible when it attacked another unit, it is invisible on the move or waiting but will stay invisible unless it attack, although they can't pass through units and fleets tend to shore up destroyers, well they pretty fall back in the later days.

New buildings that raise the morale of specified unit types make it a bit redundant. Why build something that benefit one type only and not all, spending a lot of time and resources to get the structure up.

Parachute units are on the works...I guess? That also count as air transport.

Railroads are already in the game called "infrastructure" as in roads, brides, and public works.

Morale and health is two seperate aspects of war. If your healthy but unwilling to war you won't fight, but if your injured but willing to fight then you keep going. Morale is not HP it's the unit effectiveness. Hp stands for how long can they still fight and morale is can they still fight. Two different things.

Unit improvement and maybe even economic improvement is a no go currently. With the new aircraft carrier and subsequent unit upgrades, stat upgrades will eat time and resources in place of unlocking new units or improve the unit alltogether, to put into context should I upgrade my tank speed? Or thank level that increase all stats at the same time?

the game does have a lot of potential, but given the simplicity of the design it's more macro and implementing anything micro will take time to consider.
      "Victory needs no explenation, defeat allows none"
      -imperium thought of the day
    • Arthur Hackett wrote:

Greetings.

Ive played this game nearly a month. And I've seen A LOT of space for improvement. Besides what other say about new units, parachutes, railroads and air transports, I think there are some upgrades that could help the game in being more strategic and fun.

Submarines got nerfed I know, and no one seems to bother the fact they are not stealthy, nor hidden from other units, specificaly from destroyers now. So in order to re balace things, submarines should be completely hidden when waiting orders, from all units. Detectable only when in movement. Also, adding the following command "Fire At Will" which would attack any naval unit on sight. Otherwise, remain undetected. This give submarines the respect they deserve and still be realistic, giving the whole game this "cold war" feeling.

Everyone want new units, but what about buildings?
      Hospitals: Gives a bonus on morale recovery by certain ammount to all infantry
      Workshop: Gives a bonus on morale recovery by certain ammount to all mechanized units.
      Tech Lab: "see below" It can only be built in the capital.

Also, "morale". We all know its Health Points. In fact, in the unit description the same percentage is called health points. So why confuse rookies. On cities makes sense, since provinces dont have Health points. But on units call it what it is.

My most daring change will be a sort of science lab, or tech lab, giving some units special habilities or enhancements. Since armor and firepower are upgrades on the investigation tree, This would act as a second tree, independent from the first. And this, is where we could use a lot of strategy to improve units on other aspect besides power and defense.

- Mechanized units could have better wheels, improving speed
      - Infantry could have a "medic trainee" of basic training in first aid, or better personal medic supplies, that could improve morale recovery rate with a bonus of 25%, 50%.
      - Airplanes could have supply fuel in flight, improving its range.
      - NAval units could have enhanced sonar or radar, giving them better vision range (which makes sense since at sea there are not obstacles that could impede vision), completely useful feature since they are at sea, and the sea is vast. Too vast to just cover every point.

Every upgrade should have some levels, or at least for being more throurough, by specific unit.

This I know, would require a lot of thought, and testing, but would improve the game greatly.

Thanks for reading me, I hope to be taken seriously, being only a noobie.
      Well, let me just say most 'noobiesp don't have the guts to speak up like you did, and you've done great.

But:
      1. Subs are only detectable when in combat or when spotted by naval bombers.
      2. The higher the morale of the province your troops are stationed in, the faster they will recover. Fortresses rise morale, so no need for hospitals or workshops.
      3. I actually agree with your tech lab building. I think it's a cool idea, and that it would improve the game greatly. I also think that the tech lab should have two branches of research: economic and military. The military side of it would do just what you said, increase speed, defense, etc. and the economic side would be kinda like this: "Advanced Agricultural Techniques" would increase wheat production, "Mining Mechanisation" would increase the amount of rare materials and iron produced, etc.
      4. The airplanes supplying in flight I don't like. Didn't happen in WW2.
      5. I do like, however, the enhanced sonar for naval units.
      The past is a foreign country.
    • First thing, I agree with Pablo.

Second thing- thank you for not making your first post about crying over gold users or what not. Most new players just cry over gold and throw a fit
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01
    • Pablo22510 wrote:

Arthur Hackett wrote:

2. The higher the morale of the province your troops are stationed in, the faster they will recover. Fortresses rise morale, so no need for hospitals or workshops.
      3. I actually agree with your tech lab building. I think it's a cool idea, and that it would improve the game greatly. I also think that the tech lab should have two branches of research: economic and military. The military side of it would do just what you said, increase speed, defense, etc. and the economic side would be kinda like this: "Advanced Agricultural Techniques" would increase wheat production, "Mining Mechanisation" would increase the amount of rare materials and iron produced, etc.

1. First thing I noticed when my sub detected a destroyer, was to chase it to death. Perhaps, since I was at a war with that faction it engaged automaticaly. If It breaks the stealth on sight of an enemy, then it has no reason to be stealth... Maybe a bonus on it first attack? Or a free attack round?
      2. Ive stationed 20% morale infantry in a 100% morale province, and it takes several days to recover.
      3. The economic branch sounds amazing. Specially since not all provinces have all resources, and in mid game the conquered countries cant sell no more.
      4. I meant just bigger fuel tanks. Not mid-air refuel, I know thats way before its time.
      5. Thanks for your feedback.

• Quasi-duck wrote:

TankBuster wrote:

Second thing- thank you for not making your first post about crying over gold users or what not. Most new players just cry over gold and throw a fit
      *cough* You never thanked me.....
      Thank you as well, you are my favourite type of bird
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01
    • Arthur Hackett wrote:

Pablo22510 wrote:

Arthur Hackett wrote:

1. First thing I noticed when my sub detected a destroyer, was to chase it to death. Perhaps, since I was at a war with that faction it engaged automaticaly. If It breaks the stealth on sight of an enemy, then it has no reason to be stealth... Maybe a bonus on it first attack? Or a free attack round?
      2. Ive stationed 20% morale infantry in a 100% morale province, and it takes several days to recover.
      3. The economic branch sounds amazing. Specially since not all provinces have all resources, and in mid game the conquered countries cant sell no more.
      4. I meant just bigger fuel tanks. Not mid-air refuel, I know thats way before its time.
      5. Thanks for your feedback.

1. I don't really understand what you mean in point 1.
      2. Yes, like it should. Troops don't heal instantly.
      3. Yeah, some of us forum dwellers thought of it long ago, but it hasn't been noticed. It'd be nice if it was implemented.
      4. Ah, I see what you mean. Nice idea, I like it.
      5. Np. Thanks for your time ^^
      The past is a foreign country.