Air Power?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I don't understand why infantry or armor that is unprotected by anti-aircraft or air cover can so degrade bomber units. In reality such a condition would be suicide for the ground units, especially if they are in open country outside of any kind of fortification. It's kind of silly for me to build or pursue air power when it can be defeated by infantry.

Am I the victim of some sort of hack? I currently in a game where my bombers are being shoot down by simple infantry, it just doesn't make sense
    • Yes, it was infantry and armor, I'm sure. Very early in the game and I have airpower before anyone else so no one has much allowed for this. This sever acts kind of screwy anyway, theres a lot of stuff going on that doesn't make sense. I seems very buggy.
    • 1tituspullo wrote:

I don't understand why infantry or armor that is unprotected by anti-aircraft or air cover can so degrade bomber units. In reality such a condition would be suicide for the ground units, especially if they are in open country outside of any kind of fortification. It's kind of silly for me to build or pursue air power when it can be defeated by infantry.

Am I the victim of some sort of hack? I currently in a game where my bombers are being shoot down by simple infantry, it just doesn't make sense
      Well, I agree with you. It is simply unrealistic that infantry has such a high AA value. If faced by a 'Stuka' dive-bomber, the infantry would cower in any cover they could find. Hell, even P-51 Mustangs, flying at low altitude, loaded with bombs, could take out a column of Tigers, and they (or the infantry with the Tigers) couldn't do shit about it. I think that TBs values should not be made bigger, but infantry and armor units should definitely have a very low/non-existent AA value.
      The past is a foreign country.
    • Pablo22510 wrote:

1tituspullo wrote:

I don't understand why infantry or armor that is unprotected by anti-aircraft or air cover can so degrade bomber units. In reality such a condition would be suicide for the ground units, especially if they are in open country outside of any kind of fortification. It's kind of silly for me to build or pursue air power when it can be defeated by infantry.

Well, I agree with you. It is simply unrealistic that infantry has such a high AA value. If faced by a 'Stuka' dive-bomber, the infantry would cower in any cover they could find. Hell, even P-51 Mustangs, flying at low altitude, loaded with bombs, could take out a column of Tigers, and they (or the infantry with the Tigers) couldn't do shit about it. I think that TBs values should not be made bigger, but infantry and armor units should definitely have a very low/non-existent AA value.
      Agreed. Maybe only commandos because they'd probably just fire back.
      Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.
      -Winston Churchill

Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching.
      -George S. Patton
    • it is unrealistic for infantry and armor to have some value against bombers, i think we should remove AA values of all ground units other than the Anti-air, its funny to imagine a rifle downing a bomber hundread feet in the air. talk about lucky shot.
      "Victory needs no explenation, defeat allows none"
      -imperium thought of the day
    • V1nd1cat0r wrote:

it is unrealistic for infantry and armor to have some value against bombers, i think we should remove AA values of all ground units other than the Anti-air, its funny to imagine a rifle downing a bomber hundread feet in the air. talk about lucky shot.
      I take it you have never heard of the British in their Fairy Battles in France? They were shot down so fast by small arms fire they did not even get to drop their load.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• V1nd1cat0r wrote:

never heard of it, but sure maybe a machine gun pointing at a low flying plane have some credibility. is there an article for me to read this?
      I read it in the book "The Battle of Britain: Five Months That Changed History; May-October 1940" by James Holland, not sure if there is online stuff but there probably is, somewhere.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Quasi-duck wrote:

V1nd1cat0r wrote:

it is unrealistic for infantry and armor to have some value against bombers, i think we should remove AA values of all ground units other than the Anti-air, its funny to imagine a rifle downing a bomber hundread feet in the air. talk about lucky shot.
      I take it you have never heard of the British in their Fairy Battles in France? They were shot down so fast by small arms fire they did not even get to drop their load.
      One case in a million. Mate, no person in their right mind stays out in the open when facing a the high-pitched whine of a Stuka dive bomber. Oh, and just to prove my point, while Patton advanced deep into Germany, he was faced by many Tigers. In most cases, because Patton has CAS, his tanks didn't have to fire a shot as the Tigers were destroyed by bombs dropped from P-51s, and the Germans couldn't do shit about it.
    • Quasi-duck wrote:

Pablo22510 wrote:

In most cases, because Patton has CAS, his tanks didn't have to fire a shot as the Tigers were destroyed by bombs dropped from P-51s, and the Germans couldn't do shit about it
      Source?
      Let me find the documentary about it. It's called Patton 360º, but it has 12 episodes and I can't recall which one it was. I'll give you the link in 5 mins.
    • Read any WW2 book on D-Day and the events soon after. That just shows how useless it is to try and fire at a plane heading at you with rockets or bombs.
      Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.
      -Winston Churchill

Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching.
      -George S. Patton
    • Kehsct wrote:

Read any WW2 book on D-Day and the events soon after. That just shows how useless it is to try and fire at a plane heading at you with rockets or bombs.
      Interesting suggestion!

"I came, I saw, I conquered" Written in a report to Rome 47 B.C., after conquering Pharnaces at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days; as quoted in Life of Caesar by Plutarch; reported to have been inscribed on one of the decorated wagons in the Pontic triumph, in Lives of the Twelve Caesars, Julius, by Suetonius.

"Alea iacta est" Gaius Julius Caesar.