Adding the Netherlands as a playable country (maybe Belgium\Luxembourg aswell?)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Adding the Netherlands as a playable country (maybe Belgium\Luxembourg aswell?)

Hello all you beautiful people, i'm just going to do a quick little introduction before i do my suggestion (if you dont like introductions, just skip this but, i just want to be polite and introduce myself :) ) My name is Stan, i'm 14 years old, i'm dutch, pantophobic and socially awkward (also really really gay), i've played this game for one day now, and i'm really enjoying it so far. Right, that was a quick little introduction, anyways, onto the suggestion thing.

Now, i've been thinking, why aren't we able to play as the Dutch, Luxembourgers or the Belgians? It would be quite fun for people who would be wanting to start out in smaller territories (i would be one of those people) i do understand why this would be hard to do, because if you take a look at the Dutch, they didnt really have any good weapons, i mean, they rode to battle on BIKES, ofcourse, they did have a few normal guns and vehicles, but not alot. This would be the same for the Belgian, they didnt have alot of weapons either (i dont really know about the luxembourgers) but still, if you guys could be able to make this a thing i think quite a bit of people would be happy :) Thanks for reading this!

See you on the battlefield,
      Stan
    • This has been suggested before, and it had got some negative reviews.
      What shots these suggestions down is, as stated above, the small dimensions of the AI countries in comparison with the actual playable countries, referring, in this case, to the number of provinces.
      Indeed, there are countries with like 14 provinces which somehow could be played as(for example, Lithuania in the 100 Players Map), but in most Call Of War maps, the playable countries nearly always have an AI country next to each of them, which they can annex easily in the early days of the game.
      It's about keeping an stability on the map in the early days.
    • Well, I just learned the meaning of a new word today: "pantophobic," meaning the fear of everything. From the Greek "pantos," meaning everything. Yes, it's apparently a real condition.

Anyway, the reasons why actual small European countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Switzerland and Austria are not playable are simple: (1) Given their small population, they have absolutely no chance whatsoever of winning the game under any circumstances. None, zero, nil, nada, zip, ain't happening. (2) Given the impossibility of winning, very few persons have any interest in playing these countries, and as a practical matter, the software developers have very little interest in spending the time, money and resources to make the software changes to permit persons to play these small countries that virtually no-one will ever play.

I hope that answers your question. Cheers.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• miech wrote:

". . . though it would be the hardest country to play as, due to the core-non core resource mechanics."
      I didn't feel compelled to outline the details, but yours is a nice, very succinct summary of why this will not happen given the existing game dynamics.

Of course, you're explaining this to a new player in his first game. You may want to elaborate on your explanation of the importance of resources, as well as the game dynamics of core vs. non-core returns on resource provinces.
    • Bicycles were used to great effect by most nations during the war. They are much cheaper than cars and are well known for 'winning' japan's war in the pacific at the start. the problem with bicycles is there is no reverse, so they were unpopular in france and the lowlands.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

miech wrote:

". . . though it would be the hardest country to play as, due to the core-non core resource mechanics."
      I didn't feel compelled to outline the details, but yours is a nice, very succinct summary of why this will not happen given the existing game dynamics.
      Of course, you're explaining this to a new player in his first game. You may want to elaborate on your explanation of the importance of resources, as well as the game dynamics of core vs. non-core returns on resource provinces.
      Sorry, I have a habit of assuming people actually read the forums for some more indepth knowledge regarding how this game works.

Tomorrow I turn 37 and I still feel I need to adjust that younger people have the attention span of 160 characters;)

(Assuming OP is younger than me, but you get my point I hope)
    • Guys, get back on topic. We were talking about adding the Netherlands. If we were to make this possible, we should call the land Benelux containing all 3 countries, but still it would be at a disadvantage.
      "Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." ~ Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

The post was edited 2 times, last by Lukenick: Wrote Belgium rather than the Netherlands. ().