Gender Specific Messages

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I am about as unsympathetic to proposed changes to the English language for reasons of political correctness as you can imagine, and I will never support the "xe" nonsense proposed by some social-engineering whackos. That said, I see the issue raised by Lizzy as one of an entirely different character; it is one of basic courtesy. The problem here is one of uniform computer programming, and the issue is easily resolved with better programming. It would be relatively easy to add a layer of programming that recognizes all players as male or female, based on the players having ticked a gender box (please, let's just keep it to two genders: male or female) on their player profile. All generic, automatically generated messages could then be tailored with the appropriate gender-specific pronouns in English or any other language. This is not exactly rocket surgery, as it is done every day in a variety of business and social contexts across a wide variety of software platforms.

This may not be the highest priority for the game developers, but it should be added to their to-do list to be addressed in the future.
  • Easier to just add something in the terms of use that states that masculine pronouns are used, but they refer to males, females, and others equally. That way not to excite the lbgt community, people who indentify as other species, squiggles, tanks etc etc etc.
    “I am the flail of god. Had you not created great sins, god would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”

Genghis Khan
  • Dixie wrote:

Easier to just add something in the terms of use that states that masculine pronouns are used, but they refer to males, females, and others equally. That way not to excite the lbgt community . . . .
    Sure, it would be a lot easier, Dix, and it would involve absolutely no work whatsoever to leave it the way it is. As I said above, however, this is a simple matter of courtesy, and it has nothing to do with the LGBT community. Recognizing the correct gender of a woman who wants to be recognized as a woman should be a no-brainer. Why would anyone oppose that?

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• i was simply addressing the rest of the thread. I simply think that the op has an axe to grind. Of course it would not bother me in any way to have a gender specific message, but look at the responses given by just this tiny community. At this point if the devs should cater to this lone individual, they are basically admitting liability. Also, this game is at least, in part, a role playing game.We re assuming personas completely different from our own. There were no female generals in ww2. So, even though the player may be female, the role she is cast is male. I guess my main beef is that the op is using manipulation, and passive aggressive extortion to get what she wants. Look up her post on the cow forum under "girlpower."

Next time I play Tomb Raider I want to play as "Larry" Croft.
    “I am the flail of god. Had you not created great sins, god would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”

Genghis Khan
  • Just my two cents worth, as a historically placed game, there were no female world leaders of WWII. And If we have He/She pronouns, someone will complain that we don't have Xe, or whatever nonsense comes next. And then someone will complain that it doesn't support fluidity where they identified as female at the start of the match, but then identified as female when they won.

I am sorry you found the words he and him so disheartening, but if you don't want to play a game because of a pronoun, I would think maybe you don't yet have the maturity to play in an online format game. Things WILL offend people. These days pretty much everything does...
  • That is not the point and you know it. I think is it not respectful to assume all players are male, it is not just a pronoun it is a whole mindset.

I am not asking for a priviledge, just the same respect that is extended to all the male players. If that doesn't sit well with you then sorry, I am wasting my time discussing it as you are never going to see my point of view.
  • @Lizzy
    I think I Patton is right, that you should refer to your other thread made for this topic.

Respect <-- linked again here

in your other thread you will note that the Community Manager herself [yep, she is a lady] replied to show you that the support staff are aware of your issue raised.
    Bump that topic and get the CM's attention again if you feel the need to do so. :thumbsup:
    Field Marshal Dan
    Former Call of War Game Operator & staff trainer 2015-17
    Community Coordinator @ New World Empires
    EN Community Support | Bytro Labs

The post was edited 1 time, last by Field Marshal Dan ().