Offshore Oil Platforms

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Offshore Oil Platforms

I don't recall this being suggested in the past, so I shall suggest it to you all today. This game, being based largely off of WWII, failed to include a vital part to the war effort in the Allies and Axis powers; offshore oil platforms, which added to the expansive and booming oil industry that had begun before the war. For reference, you can see the history behind offshore oil platforms here.

Offshore oil platforms would be constructed using a new unit called a "barge" or construction ship. These units could also be used to construct offshore naval stations or buoys capable of detecting approaching ships or planes. This would add lots more strategy to the ocean not only economically, but also militarily. I suggest these "barges" have some limit to their use, or cost a certain amount of resources to use, along with the costs of building whatever ocean structure (i.e. the 2 mentioned above). These units would not have any defense value, or little if at all, and act much like transport ships.

The benefits and why you should care:

Offshore oil platforms would add more depth to your economy, and add more strategy to the oceans. Currently, oceans and other bodies of water are for merely transporting troops and naval engagements. Oil platforms would not only boost oil production, but would also be able to be captured if not defended by naval units. Very strategic for enemies to use more naval power. Also, other buildings such as buoys or radar stations would add further strategy to naval defense, and perhaps become your best friend when playing as a country under threat from countries overseas.

I would highly appreciate your comments and thoughts, as feedback is always welcomed.
    • I support the idea of radar stations and buoys. (must be limited, so that you have to have land within 100-200km or something like that)

As for the oil platforms I kinda like it, though I appreciate that the game is not too focused on econ.

Along with naval shore guns or a naval version of artillery/rail gun this would add a new aspect to shore defense and naval invasions.
      Sincerely, wildL
      EN Mod
      Report a problem

• wildL SPQR wrote:

I support the idea of radar stations and buoys. (must be limited, so that you have to have land within 100-200km or something like that)
      I like your suggestion of particular limits. It'd be crazy to have buoys over in enemy waters, lol. However, I think buoys should operate from coastal naval stations (or coast guard stations) so that once you capture a station, all buoys within range are now yours. It'd simulate the strategic effects of capturing and securing enemy intel, most of all.

wildL SPQR wrote:

Along with naval shore guns or a naval version of artillery/rail gun this would add a new aspect to shore defense and naval invasions.
      I recall this being mentioned somewhere when the suggestions of aircraft carriers first started going around. I definitely think we need the capability to bombard ships with coastal installations, perhaps through the building of a fortress on a coastal province. The only exception would be provinces along bodies of water that have no roads leading to the shore. Definitely worth a look from Bytro developers.
    • I few weeks ago I made a post about the need for the resources and economy in the game to looked at, and now I see so many great posts about ways to boost the resource and econ game- and the fact your post uses historical reference from the time is amazing!

I really hope ideas like this get used, I know marines and paras are high on the list for updates, but this idea is too good to pass up!
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01