Destroyers should have a land unit attack value

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Destroyers should have a land unit attack value

Throughout World War II destroyers were used to provide point blank support to amphibious landings. Examples are the D-Day invasion, the Guadalcanal campaign, as well as the Tarawa and Iwo Jima landings. As a result they should be given small attack values towards infantry, armored and infrastructure to reflect this role.
    • A small attack value would not negate the effectiveness of cruisers and battleships. Just as in World War II, when destroyers were used to provide point blank support, cruisers and battleships were also used since they were more effective. In no way did the use of destroyers negate the usefulness of cruisers and battleships in the actual conflict and providing them with a small attack value in the game would also in no way negate the usefulness of having cruisers and battleships on hand.
    • I agree. They should have some on-shore bombard value.
      Carl Wilson

“Dad, how do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?”
      ― Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages 1985-1995: An Exhibition Catalogue

"Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war, is: 'Do not march on Moscow'… Rule 2 is: 'Do not go fighting with your land armies in China."
      Bernard Law Montgomery, British general
    • There are already other marine units that perform this.

"I came, I saw, I conquered" Written in a report to Rome 47 B.C., after conquering Pharnaces at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days; as quoted in Life of Caesar by Plutarch; reported to have been inscribed on one of the decorated wagons in the Pontic triumph, in Lives of the Twelve Caesars, Julius, by Suetonius.

"Alea iacta est" Gaius Julius Caesar.
    • Well, depends, is it better to build a load of Militia, or infantry? I mean, yeah, militia are weaker and slower but you only need a barracks, so win-win, right?
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Ok, let's run the numbers. Suppose we give destroyers the same land/infrastructure attack value as an AA gun (2). This is not a stretch since most destroyers guns were 5" and the most well known AA gun was the German 88mm.

Here is what would happen if you tried to spam destroyers. To have the firepower equivalent to a BB you would need 22 destroyers. As you can see below for the cost of 22 destroyers you could have a BB at roughly a sixth of the cost of trying to spam destroyers. Coupled with this the need for suitable production facilities to spam that many destroyers it becomes nearly impossible from a logistics perspective to do so. When one also considers the attack range difference there is really no reason to spam destroyers as it is is a waste of resources in comparison. Not only would it take vastly more time to produce 22 destroyers, there is no economic or military reason to warrant it.

........Goods Manpower...Metal....Oil....Rare_Materials...Money...Land/Infrastructure_Attack_Value...Attack-Range
      DD - 1000......250.......1750....300............0............3000....................(.2)...........................20km
      BB - 4000......600........4000...1250...........0............8000...................(4.4)...........................50km
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      22DD - 22000..5500......38500..6600...........0............66000..................(4.4)...........................20km

The post was edited 7 times, last by Kwilk6 ().

• Bump.

I strongly agree with this suggestion.

Reason:

The lvl1 Destroyer on the German tech tree has five 127 mm cannons. With a max range of 17.5 kilometers.

Why Destroyers don't have a land based attack, is beyond me.
      In fact, the destroyers " Zerstörer 1934 "
      "have a larger caliber cannon than Artillery or lvl1 Howitzers "7.7 cm FK 16" or 77mm and yet
      the artillery land based unit attack is larger.

I dont understand why Destroyers, that should have auxiliary shore bombardment as feature, have ZERO ground attack value. X/

Please add attack value to destroyers. If they are abusable, then tweak the prices.