Question about aircraft combat results

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Question about aircraft combat results

I decided to attack a stack of 2 level 1 ints at an airbase with 5 level 2 ints.

I figured he would fly up to engage me as that's what he did last time, so I had my units set to patrol, waiting for him to attack. This time however, his planes didn't take off as I approached, so I decided I would have to ground attack his units instead. To my consternation, he shot one of my ints down while I only took one or two hitpoints off his planes.

I quizzed him about this and he said he took off to attack at the last minute and engaged in the air. But if the planes engaged in the air, why did my 5 level 2 ints destroy a mere one or two hitpoints? With a combined attack strength of 25+, surely my units should have done more than 1 or 2 hitpoints damage? It occurred to me that perhaps my units went ahead with their ground attack first and then he flew up to attack me, but then wouldn't his units have suffered more damage all the same from their air attack?