Fight for the Pacific

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• oceanhawk wrote:

Carl Wilson wrote:

Looks awesome! The only thing is, will you guys be implementing like Blitzkrieg 1939 where each nation starts with more than just the generic Infantry, AA, and Armoured Cars?
      that would be a whole different map
      Yes, but it is less than accurate right now. It is like Road to War, except on the Pacific.
      Carl Wilson

“Dad, how do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?”
      ― Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages 1985-1995: An Exhibition Catalogue

"Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war, is: 'Do not march on Moscow'… Rule 2 is: 'Do not go fighting with your land armies in China."
      Bernard Law Montgomery, British general
    • purplepizza117 wrote:

Why is it random selection? D:

I won't be a downer, I really like the map, and you can't please everyone, but that kind of breaks the map for me...

And people will say, "They just gave you something amazing! Be thankful!" and I am, I'm thankful that the developers made this map, it looks realllllly fun... But the random selection kills it.

I was chosen to be North Dakota, with only 20 slots filled. Then my friend was chosen for Montana. So, I think I'll wait until the next game releases before I play this map.

I ended up getting North Dakota too!
      Russian bias? I think you mean Russian fact, Comrade!

• It isn't random for me. I got to choose whether I wanted to set up a Free Selection or not. Wonder if it is a bug.
      Carl Wilson

“Dad, how do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?”
      ― Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages 1985-1995: An Exhibition Catalogue

"Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war, is: 'Do not march on Moscow'… Rule 2 is: 'Do not go fighting with your land armies in China."
      Bernard Law Montgomery, British general
    • It's been OK so far...not too different in game play strategy...but I have a few complaints about the topography.

Philippines is still missing an important island (Palawan) critical to the map's appearance.

Display Spoiler
      BTW, did you know that Mr. Sulu is named after the Sulu sea to the right of Palawan island?

Well, probably, anyway. Maybe? ... I don't know, I just saw it on Google maps.

****************************************************************************************************************************

My home state of Oregon has ludicrously replaced Portland with Salem as an urban province while the two largest urban areas of the state (that era and now) are (and were) Eugene and Portland...neither of which was made into an urban province (and Portland was downgraded since the World Map). Portland and Eugene have made up most of the entire state's urban territory over the past 80 years. For that matter, Astoria used to be a major seaport & shipping hub in that era and it could have been a better urban choice than Newport (though Newport was also a shipping port and is in a more balanced position).

And, among the other poorly researched areas in this state, the province of Maupin is inaccurately named. Nobody lives in Maupin (well, a handful), but that province would be better named after "The Dalles", or (better yet) "Hood River" (home sweet home) -- and the city point moved leftwards somewhat to roughly match the real topography of the area.

Ugh ... and what they did to the Columbia River mutilated the shape of the state. I know they have to be a little artsy, but the distinctive river bend in the northwestern corner got straightened out and now makes the state look like it's "listing lazily to the left". You know, just like when the Millennium Falcon listed lazily to the left in response to Han Solo's expert flying prowess that he claimed when he said that he knew "a few maneuvers." (thank you, Family Guy for pointing THAT one out).

The big four urban provinces should be Portland, Salem, and Eugene, and then one from <Medford, Newport, Astoria, Pendleton (Heppner), or Bend>.

****************************************************************************************************************************

I get it that the map creators have to be creative to spread out urban centers and maintain balance, but if those German game designers at Bytro were to use local resources for their research, they could come up with better topographical choices and yet maintain playability.

One of the first things any game designer should do when developing a new [CoW] game map -- after their initial research and alpha map design -- is to put out a call to existing {CoW] players with a sense of history of their local areas to be queried about the topography of their area.

Any respondents could be given access to a portion of the map (their region of the world) and asked to comment on the map of their area within that region. Then, the designers could investigate the commented parts to see if they could adjust the map to fit the local's sensibilities.

If any part of the world is overrepresented, then the designers could gauge the responses for a consensus and then follow up with their research to confirm the validity of the consensus* (the mob isn't always right).

If any part of the world is underrepresented or not represented in one language, it might get more feedback in another. And if any gets no representation, the map designers could then just assume that their initial research is good enough until someone -- like me -- makes a stink about it and they could then make adjustments for a down-the-road release update.

*Just a quick note on "Consensus". Once upon a time, there was a consensus that the elements were made up of earth, wind, water, and fire...hardly accurate. There was a consensus that Rome would last forever. There was a consensus that the earth was flat. There was a consensus that the sun orbited the earth.

There have been many consensuses, but some of them are eventually disproven -- and rightly so. Such shall be the fate of the disputed theory of man-caused global warming. Such shall also be the fate of the nonsensical and natural-law-violating concepts of a uniformitarianism view of history and that the universe is "billions" of years old.

And more shall be disproven. Such shall be the fate of the theory of evolution. And such shall also be the fate of atheism when all of humankind from throughout all of history stands together before God to give an account of their rebellion against Him (I absolutely had to slip that in here...) ;)
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • I'm not seeing the big Pacific maps fill up like the gigantic World maps. Maybe the system is starting too many Pacific maps compared to the World Map ratio?
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • THAT'S NOT A GLITCH...He has probably bought units with Gold.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • Diabolical wrote:

THAT'S NOT A GLITCH...He has probably bought units with Gold.
      Unless I am sadly mistaken...you need Infrastructure Lvl1 to build armoured cars no matter how much gold you may have. My ally had none...

But the newspaper was wrong LOL

What I take from this occurrence is that the map is not balanced at the start.

No problem...just have to suck it up and move on...and be thankful that player was my ally :)

PS...No need to shout :P