Mock Armies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mock Armies

I believe that there should be mock armies like those used by the allies before the allied invasion of Normandy that convinced Adolf Hitler that the main Allied invasion army was to be at Pas de Calais instead of Normandy. This would be very beneficial for confusing opponents as to where you are going to strike, as well as to make yourself seem more powerful. These would be some statistics:
      • Available to research after day 16 in the secret category
      • Mock tank Brigade: Level 2 Infrastructure, Level One Industrial Complex. Cost: 1,000 goods, 500 Metal, and 250 Manpower, and take 4 hours.
      • Mock Infantry Brigade: Level 2 Barracks, Level one Industrial Complex. Cost: 1,250 goods, 250 manpower, and take 4 hours.
      • Mock Anti-Tank brigade: Level One Industrial Complex. Cost: 1,000 goods, 250 Manpower, 250 Metal, and takes 2 hours.
      • Mock Anti-Air brigade: Level One Infrastructure, Level One Industrial Complex. Cost: 1,000, 250 Manpower, 250 Metal, and takes 2 hours.
      The units themselves would have no combat value and would move at 20 km/hr, would have a 25% speed bonus on plains, and would go 15 km/hr at sea. They would have full morale for the time witnessed, but would be destroyed as soon as an enemy unit engages them. These units would only be for intelligence purposes, but it plays along with the Cold War theme, Where you stop invading and keep within your borders until you have enough intelligence so that you can definitely win. This would trick people into believing that you have more troops than you actually have, and be faster to produce. This would allow the formation of massive fake armies, and would trick your enemies, and it should be that only you can tell your decoy units from the real ones.
      I know that there is a lot of recommendations for different units, but these would make the Intelligence factor so much higher, and would put a lot of emphasis on guessing and such. This would bring new interest into the game and bring a new way to play: wither by spamming dummy units and hoping people don’t attack you, or making real units and hoping the enemy has fake ones. It also will put a renewed focus on diplomacy rather than just tank spamming. Using diplomacy and alliances, one can be sure of their success, and thus would have to make treaties and other such pacts to ensure the safety of their country.
      This, of course, is only a recommendation. This would make the intelligence and diplomacy game more important, and spice things up, but it would be far from perfect. Spamming only mock units will make your country seem powerful, but then if someone does attack, your weak. Also, Mock units are mostly only good in the late game scenario where players are gobbling up the last of the inactive countries and as such only have each other left to fight. Hopefully this idea will be considered, as it would make the game much more interesting.
      Images
      • DummyShermanTank.jpg

23.36 kB, 450×314, viewed 186 times

• Just leave 1 AA, and the enemy will only see an blurred infantry icon with a question mark. That is, of course, if they're far away enough. If not, they'll see the AA.

I see what you want, but I don't think it's a good idea. I mean, it is very hard to fool the enemy into thinking your 'plastic' army is real when you're connected by land, and they have air superiority over you. Normandy was a very special case, as the Channel was in the middle, the Allies had complete air superiority and Hitler thought the Allies would disembark at Pas-de-Calais, so the fact that the fake armies were there coincided with what Hitler thought. You can't use fake armies on land because in the end someone would end up reporting it to the enemy (e.g. a farmer, a refugee, etc.).
      The past is a foreign country.
    • Pablo22510 wrote:

I see what you want, but I don't think it's a good idea. I mean, it is very hard to fool the enemy into thinking your 'plastic' army is real when you're connected by land, and they have air superiority over you. Normandy was a very special case, as the Channel was in the middle, the Allies had complete air superiority and Hitler thought the Allies would disembark at Pas-de-Calais, so the fact that the fake armies were there coincided with what Hitler thought. You can't use fake armies on land because in the end someone would end up reporting it to the enemy (e.g. a farmer, a refugee, etc.).
      Pablo, have you ever heard of the "Ghost Army" in WWII? Look 'em up.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Quasi-duck wrote:

Pablo22510 wrote:

Pablo, have you ever heard of the "Ghost Army" in WWII? Look 'em up.
      LOL. I knew about them, but I thought the only one they'd pulled off was Normandy! Cool!
      The past is a foreign country.
    • I'd have so much fun with this...oooh, i'm vibrating
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01
    • I really like this idea, especially how it's connected with the tech tree, rather then a separate ability of some sort.

Speaking of abilities, your idea reminds me of game called RUSE, it's pretty awesome small-scale strategy game. It has some abilities that affect other players and yourself, like the mock armies thing; plenty more here; ruse.wikia.com/wiki/Ruses. There is also another browser game called WarLight that I used to play, it was much simpler and more faster paced then CoW, more of a numbers game with no real strategy. There are "cards" that you can use, that affect the game in a lot ways.

Sadly though, I have a good feeling even if "abilities"/"commands" were implemented they'd be gold only. :|
      yo, what did the pirate say to the parrot? ... he said, ARRR you y- i'm a cracker..? ahem.. s-sorry.. i'm not.. uh.. very *good* with uh.. y'know jokes. I don't know .. um, yeah i guess i uh... will just give you a quote! yeah.. thats what i'll do.. a quote..

ahem.. here's the quote:

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." :00000450:
    • Good suggestion, but it would be difficult to implement.

"I came, I saw, I conquered" Written in a report to Rome 47 B.C., after conquering Pharnaces at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days; as quoted in Life of Caesar by Plutarch; reported to have been inscribed on one of the decorated wagons in the Pontic triumph, in Lives of the Twelve Caesars, Julius, by Suetonius.

"Alea iacta est" Gaius Julius Caesar.
    • Quasi-duck wrote:

How? It is just a unit with no offensive or defensive capabilities.
      Create units takes time.

"I came, I saw, I conquered" Written in a report to Rome 47 B.C., after conquering Pharnaces at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days; as quoted in Life of Caesar by Plutarch; reported to have been inscribed on one of the decorated wagons in the Pontic triumph, in Lives of the Twelve Caesars, Julius, by Suetonius.

• Caesar wrote:

Quasi-duck wrote:

How? It is just a unit with no offensive or defensive capabilities.
      Create units takes time.
      That doesn't mean it is hard to implement, just it takes time. Hell, it is basically just copying the other units and removing some stats.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Quasi-duck wrote:

That doesn't mean it is hard to implement, just it takes time. Hell, it is basically just copying the other units and removing some stats.
      It is not so easy how it seems.