Tactics?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I`ve been Using Tactics as of lately Such as the armored spearhead, Encirclement, Blitzkrieg and Suppressive Barrages
      (artillery barrages). I was hoping anyone has some interesting tactics to share. Oh and to make your day I just found Hearts of iron 4 soundtrack on youtube, so enjoy :P

In war there is no substitute for victory-- Douglas MacArthur

Decisions! And a general, a commander in chief who has not got the quality of decision, then he is no good.---Bernard Montgomery

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning
      ---- Erwin Rommel

The longer the battle lasts the more force we'll have to use!
      ----georgy zhukov

The post was edited 1 time, last by ta-wint ().

• I was going to start a laid-back tactics thread, but I found this one pretty much untouched. So I'll bring in some 'pros' and we can all discuss this stuff.

First, I'll do some diplomatic strategies first because I think diplomacy can win wars. I've always said it and I can use it to my advantage here in COW.

Steps to a successful diplomatic strategy:

1. Keep your options open. Don't ever ally with anyone fully until the first five days are up. After you've expanded into smaller nations and your economy is better, as is everyone else's, things will start heating up around you. Watch any crises near your borders if they could be useful to you in the short term– look at any issues around the map if they may be useful to you in the long term.

Even after that, you must keep any options open before deciding who to support, especially in a time of war.

2. Sell your support to the highest bidder. I have read quite a few books detailing the inner workings of diplomacy around this time, and one of the things that made Stalin so successful and so hard-to-reach diplomatically is that he understood his country's power and he sold its support to the highest bidder. This may be a hard term to understand, so I will explain it to you in an example that just a few days ago happened to me.

Recently a war broke out between the UK and France in one of my games, and it's a pretty even playing field economy-and military- wise. This means that both countries will be willing to cede land and political power to me if I help them win this war. Even though I am on the other side of Europe from both of the warmongers' homelands as the Soviet Union, I have sent them a starting value of an incredibly high proportions; to France, I want the Mid East and North Africa as concessions for my support. To England, I want the same thing. They are both in the mid-fifties in terms of level, so they both know the implications of their war and the power they could potentially accede to me if they accept. But do they have a choice?

But that's not all I demanded. The next step will examine an important part to diplomatically land-grabbing with any potential allies or enemies.

3. Make agreements that seem good for them. In that same game, I asked France and England for some additional concessions in return for the support of the Russian Bear; things that don't look terrible for England or France but are actually better than they could potentially imagine. For example, I sent France this message:

"Look, I could still help you with this war with Britain under a few conditions:

1. I get North Africa and the Middle East, ALL of it, including your lands.

2. I am guaranteed the conquest of the countries of Italy, Romania, and Germany."

Of course, this looks like a small amount of conditions that France would agree to, until you realise that I am demanding not only North Africa (which I already discussed) but also the guaranteed conquest of Italy and Germany (with Romania thrown in there to make it seem a little more like an expansionist but a little less of a total expansionist). My guaranteed conquest of these nations not only halts any French expansion to the east but also seems to legitimise my potential land-grabs of Poland, the Baltic States, the Balkan States, Italy, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and all of Scandinavia.

The benefits to me are exceedingly great if I can get France to accept this treaty. It holds France to the conquests of the US (which honestly looks more powerful than all of us), Iberia, and Canada. But it allows me to legitimise my claims on Europe with no one standing in my way.

4. If a country tries to break a diplomatic agreement with you, attack him. I say this for two reasons: you are not truce-breaking, he is; and this may deplete the other player's morale indefinitely. The first point is pretty simple, while the second requires some tricky thinking. Let me put it this way:

Germany allies with Spain and they agree that Germany can have UK.
      Spain conquers UK.
      Germany attacks Spain under a legitimate casus belli.
      Spain, seeing his error, drifts away from the game because of this new war- and it's his fault.

Even if this plan backfires, and Spain is more powerful than Germany, it can still lead to some miracle and Germany ends up defeating Spain.

But you may be wondering: What if Spain really is more powerful than Germany, and if Germany does this, he will get annihilated? Well, my friend, look at it this way: if Germany lets Spain push him around, then Germany is as good as dead. No nation in this game, or real life can succeed if its leader allows it to be pushed around.

5. If there is a strong country at your door, DO NOT ally with it. This one is vital to smaller and less powerful countries. This is especially critical because if you ally with a stronger power nearby, who has eaten up a variety of countries already, you are its next target. Anyone who allies with one of these nations is an appeaser who wants to be eaten last; do you really think that once that country has conquered the map, they will keep you around for a friend? No. They will kill you and feel no remorse.

Rather than doing that, you must ally with other smaller nations on this country's border that can all attack this big empire and take it down together. Alliances must fall apart after that, though; if you are bent on not truce-breaking, you must make sure that you do not keep more than 2 alliances after this takedown happens. Trust me.

Well, that took a while, so as promised I will link in a few 'pros' if they would like to post some strategies of their own on this page:

@Sir McSquiggles
      @Pablo22510
      @Caesar (If he gets unbanned ;( )
      @FilipALFA
      @DxC
      @GreatbigHippo
      It's been a while
    • Very interesting and handy.
      In war there is no substitute for victory-- Douglas MacArthur

Decisions! And a general, a commander in chief who has not got the quality of decision, then he is no good.---Bernard Montgomery

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning
      ---- Erwin Rommel

The longer the battle lasts the more force we'll have to use!
      ----georgy zhukov
    • purplepizza117 wrote:

@Caesar (If he gets unbanned )
      I'm back Purple.

Tactics:

• Make one coalition with your friends or with your members of alliance, 5 users, for example, choose the region of South America or Asia.
      • Choose one nation with Sea, for example: Argentina, Japon...
      • Not red numbers.
      • Coordination with your allies.
      • Creation of artillery and naval army...

Those are any 'tactics'

"I came, I saw, I conquered" Written in a report to Rome 47 B.C., after conquering Pharnaces at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days; as quoted in Life of Caesar by Plutarch; reported to have been inscribed on one of the decorated wagons in the Pontic triumph, in Lives of the Twelve Caesars, Julius, by Suetonius.

"Alea iacta est" Gaius Julius Caesar.
    • Как работает Атака и защита. Как подключать защиту? Просто стоять пока на тебя нападут и это с твоей стороны уже будет защита?