Alternate Units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• They should also be able to develop super heavy tanks and rocket artillery too, going by what you are saying. If we go with that, this will have a nigh on uncountable amount of unitas that could be put in from mine dogs to disc shaped aircraft to solar guns to another Death Star.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• Butter Ball Bill wrote:

They should also be able to develop super heavy tanks and rocket artillery too, going by what you are saying. If we go with that, this will have a nigh on uncountable amount of unitas that could be put in from mine dogs to disc shaped aircraft to solar guns to another Death Star.
      You know what, you have given me an idea, we need to be able to lay land and naval mine fields, everyone had them.

They should also be able to develop super heavy tanks and rocket artillery too, going by what you are saying. If we go with that, this will have a nigh on uncountable amount of unitas that could be put in from mine dogs to disc shaped aircraft to solar guns to another Death Star.

We already have the idea of super heavy tanks and rocket artillery in the form of tech upgrades to existing equipment. What else is an upgrade to a heavy tank but super sizing it :)

I would only add units that expand the interesting parts of the game or had a strong impact. An aircraft carrier does that. Minefields do not, and in my view are part of what you get with a fortification. Don't forget that the military units in the game are approximations of a wide variety of equipment actually deployed.

They have that stuff already, Hack.
      I've looked and seen that there are no jets for the Germans. Nor does it start with light tanks already developed, or anything that made the Germans the threat they were in WW2. It took the world to defeat them. They had the first assault rifle, the MG-42, ME-109, ME-262, ME-263, Arado Ar-234, He-162, all were first. For the next 20 years the rest of the world used German technology to fight it's wars. I don't know everything but I do know world war two history. At least the European theater. Perhaps you should have a separate map for a historically correct game from Jan. 1939. Letting us play out the war from there. I would suggest more research slots as well. Give it a more Hearts of Iron less Risk feel.
    • whakomatic wrote:

Butter Ball Bill wrote:

We already have the idea of super heavy tanks and rocket artillery in the form of tech upgrades to existing equipment. What else is an upgrade to a heavy tank but super sizing it :)

I would only add units that expand the interesting parts of the game or had a strong impact. An aircraft carrier does that. Minefields do not, and in my view are part of what you get with a fortification. Don't forget that the military units in the game are approximations of a wide variety of equipment actually deployed.
      I was the one who mentioned minefields lol, and you have made a good point against me, the units in game would already employ that tech with their equipment on land.

However I envisioned at sea creating new Minelayer units that could be used to deploy a naval minefield... basically 1 unit *minelayer frigate?* would at a high price be made and able to place 1 minefield and vanish from the game like a nuclear bomber, the minefield would do major damage to any enemy naval units crossing it and then it would be cleared from the sea lane its in. Not a smooth idea I know but minefields at sea played a part in WW2 from keeping harbors clear of enemy subs, making naval landings more hazardous, and of course making general travel at sea less safe.
    • You would need to equal out the tech with number as it was in the real war. The US had all the resources, Communist had the man power. The US and England also had high tech as well they had the Pershing and the Comet and let's not forget the biggy-atom bomb. The US developed the B-17 and B-29 heavy long range bombers. The joint UK-US P-51 with drop tank and a Merlin Rolls Royce engine. Both the UK and US had developed Jet fighters by the end of the war only the UK had one that was limited operational the Meteor, which they used to shoot down the V-1 and V-2 Rockets. Communist USSR had hoards of men they would pour into battle without a care for their lives. It would over whelm the enemy. They had the simple T-34 which like the Sherman was cheap and took a lot of pounding. They would use them to ram the Panther and Tiger tanks to do damage to them. They usually out numbered the Germans by vast amounts in every campaign. During the battle of Kursk they had over a 250 to 1 advantage. It was only the superior technology and quality that kept the Germans from being slaughtered. If you look at the quantity of dead and destroyed equipment the Germans won but the losses the German were dealt were far more than they could afford.
    • The Komet was German. The Sherman was not reliable, it was nicknamed after a popular lighter, the Ronson. The Russians also had the KV-1 and 2, tank destroyers and the Katyusha and loads of other stuff rather than just the T-34. The UK had jets before the war, just like the Germans but never used them.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• Jack wrote:

You would need to equal out the tech with number as it was in the real war. The US had all the resources, Communist had the man power. The US and England also had high tech as well they had the Pershing and the Comet and let's not forget the biggy-atom bomb. The US developed the B-17 and B-29 heavy long range bombers. The joint UK-US P-51 with drop tank and a Merlin Rolls Royce engine. Both the UK and US had developed Jet fighters by the end of the war only the UK had one that was limited operational the Meteor, which they used to shoot down the V-1 and V-2 Rockets. Communist USSR had hoards of men they would pour into battle without a care for their lives. It would over whelm the enemy. They had the simple T-34 which like the Sherman was cheap and took a lot of pounding. They would use them to ram the Panther and Tiger tanks to do damage to them. They usually out numbered the Germans by vast amounts in every campaign. During the battle of Kursk they had over a 250 to 1 advantage. It was only the superior technology and quality that kept the Germans from being slaughtered. If you look at the quantity of dead and destroyed equipment the Germans won but the losses the German were dealt were far more than they could afford.
      Correct on most accounts, however im not sure what you are referring to by the "Comet" the only WW2 Comet I know of was a German chemical rocket powered interceptor that was conceptualized before WW2 but only saw a little use near the end of the war in a last ditch attempt to fight USA bomber strikes *with little success due to the sheer number of bombers and that the highly corrosive and combustible fuel made the Comet very dangerous to fly*.