Roads not Built around Cities

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Roads not Built around Cities

One of the things I would like in this game is that not all roads have to pass through the city in the province. In this game, the roads are based around the cities, making it impossible to make raids deep into enemy territory. I say this because units like the LRDG and the SAS used secondary roads to their advantage in North Africa (among other places) to thrust deep into hostile lands, raifing air fields and things like that. But in this game you just keep your troops in the city and let the enemy come at you, just to wipe them out!

There should be secondary routes, which would make vehicles go slower, to give you an opportunity to flank the enemy on a small scale, and engulf them. That was the essence of the whole North African campaign!!! No big battles, just flank the enemy, isolate them, and take them out! If it isn't possible in Europe and America, which I perfectly understand, at least put them in Africa and maybe Russia, because of the vastness of the territory.

P.S. I recommend reading a book named 'Killing Rommel' to understand the essence of the North African campaign, and groups like the LRDG.
      The past is a foreign country.
    • This would be good, especially if the roads had different terrains to them e.g. the French coast around Normandy is plains, the secondary routes could introduce a boggy terrain which would slow down everything and give defenders an advantage to simulate the lack of room to maneuver.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• I know, but if you have a weakness, you can make it a strength. Also, if it was only advantageous to invaders, it would be unfair. Like the bogs in Normandy would've been useful if the Germans hadn't put ditches on each of road and stick AT guns in strategic positions.

• Yes, that's the point, goddamn it! Those roads are for you to exploit if the enemy has no troops on them, but if the enemy has troops it can turn to their advantage. It is just to add more things in battles, a you can flank and engulf the enemy with that.
    • Great, I am loving this idea. You made it sound like it was just for attackers. Maybe if we also get a HC option for troops that is patrolling which give an initial first strike boost since the enemy was seen and the guns were set up to attack and troops in place etc. and it might make HC more enticing rather than just fire control.

• Bingo! One of the problems about this game is it's too focused on the whole war, so battles are just attacking the enmy in the city, which, in my opinion, doesn't need to much strategy. With the side roads, we could use tactics like flanking, surrounding, cutting off supplies, etc. But obviously it can be used to the defenders' advantage too, as you could set ambushes, counterattack, and stuff like that.
    • I disagree, you have to pay for the other games and Civ runs on moves, not sure about the other one. This one is free and you can pop in and out all day. I have played Civ with a friend, this is much better.

• Couldn't agree more, especially because time that is left from the day can be spent on actual eating ^^

Been many nights when early birds looked at me with expression like "no that Zulu main city will not fall today, go to sleep now". Also girlfriend but with less constructive comment <X

Main potentially bad thing with this model is say war for few weeks / near victory / champagne is ready / then the other guy picks up the credit card :wallbash

Would b cool for say important games everyone to chip in say 5€ and then after that nobody plays with that gold buttons.
      Marketing, don't get ideas please ;(