"distance to capital" listed in "morale" popup

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• "distance to capital" listed in "morale" popup

As listed in the "morale" popup, does the "distance to capital" automatically adjust for the construction of infrastructure between a given province and the capital, or does it simply disregard infrastructure? If it automatically adjusts "distance to capital" for infrastructure for the province, it would significantly impact my own construction strategy.

I am currently playing a game on the Pacific map -- with vast distances -- and it would be nice to get a definitive answer from knowledgeable players or game operators.
    • Well, that's what I thought too, until I started playing a game on the Pacific map. If the "distance to capital," as measured in fractional days, does not change based on infrastructure construction, then there are some VERY inconsistent distances listed -- adjoining provinces seem to have significant differences that cannot be explained by actual distance from the capital.

I'm ready to start plotting all of the stated "distances to capital" to identify more of these perceived inconsistencies. I have found any number of problems -- and design choices -- in the Pacific game which are, well, problematic. For example, I have found at least five countries that do not have flagged capitals -- a significant problem for experienced players who rely on the 10% morale boost for capturing enemy capitals. This map does not look like it was ready to be released for play when it was. The apparent design choices also include the reduction of resources produced by certain provinces by 5 to 10% in comparison to the same resources on the European map -- that's especially galling given the vast distances of the Pacific map and their impact on morale and resource production in captured provinces at the long end of trans-oceanic invasions.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• The distance to capital is measured geographically, in real distance by whether it be by air or ground, it does not consider travel time. The reason is because the people who live closest to the capital will have a stronger loyalty to the government than the people who live in outlying areas because they are usually recently acquired territories, are nearby potential enemies, and are exposed to migration patterns of other ethnic groups of people whos loyalties lie with their nation of departure. Very simple. Closer to the capital, loyal. Farther from the capital, not so loyal.
      You cant fix stupid :wallbash
    • ScareCrow wrote:

The distance to capital is measured geographically, in real distance by whether it be by air or ground, it does not consider travel time. The reason is because the people who live closest to the capital will have a stronger loyalty to the government than the people who live in outlying areas because they are usually recently acquired territories, are nearby potential enemies, and are exposed to migration patterns of other ethnic groups of people whos loyalties lie with their nation of departure. Very simple. Closer to the capital, loyal. Farther from the capital, not so loyal.
      Very helpful.
      It's been a while
    • I know it says distance in time when checking morale of provinces but, if you zoom in to a certain point, take a ruler and measure the distances from point to point, not province to province because the centers are differently spaced and shaped, you will see that the distance from capital from point to point is the same. If you are in the islands you most likely wont have airports connecting all your provinces to to capital so 'as the crow flies' in distance rather than time is what applies. Otherwise your morale would go up when you built an airbase that allowed you to fly to directly to your capital using an airbase 'highway'.
    • ScareCrow wrote:

Otherwise your morale would go up when you built an airbase that allowed you to fly to directly to your capital using an airbase 'highway'.
      Perhaps it should. Or at least provincial morale SHOULD rise for being connected to the capital via better infrastructure. In COW game terms. the travel time is reduced, therefore the influence of the capital should be greater. Of course the whole closer-to-the-capital-higher-morale concept is a very unrealistic assumption and odd abstraction to start. Can't speak for every country on planet Earth, but in the United States, some of the most patriotic, most military-supportive regions are those that are rather remote from Washington, DC, e.g. Texas, the South, the Midwest, etc., and some of those regions that are least supportive of foreign military actions are relatively closer to the capital, e.g., New York and the Northeast.

Every virtual war game must by necessity include certain abstractions and simplifications of reality in order to make the game simple enough to be playable. On the other hand, those abstractions should reflect fundamental reality, not a significant departure from reality. As presently structured, the whole provincial morale game concept is fundamentally flawed; it should be reviewed and discussed with knowledgeable players, and IMO significantly revised to better reflect reality.
    • ScareCrow wrote:

I know it says distance in time when checking morale of provinces but, if you zoom in to a certain point, take a ruler and measure the distances from point to point, not province to province because the centers are differently spaced and shaped, you will see that the distance from capital from point to point is the same.
      You would think that, yes. However, in playing the new Pacific map, I have found provinces that are geographically closer to the national capital (as measured from the provincial capital/center) that are receiving a greater morale penalty than provinces that are geographically further away (as measured to the provincial capital/center). This is one of a number of problems I have noticed with the new Pacific map in playing it for the last two weeks. IMO the new Pacific map is not ready for prime time.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• @MontanaBB, thats basically politics in general and the distance from capital wouldnt necessarily apply in a 21st century superpower nation with the existing infrastructure knowing that one would be able to fly coast to coast in very little time. In backwards , or, 3rd world countries that do exist today with political instability it certainly does apply. So many nation states on the verge of failure or attemped coups. Look at Turkey, they have Kurds in the east and a leader seeking a secularist government. But even in US of A, we have so many illegal hispanic immigrants in California and Arizona and New Mexico it is actually changing the demographics enough to question which nation those immigrants are loyal to.....ie Mexico? It is realistic and when you are talking thousands of miles, even Russia with its millions of ethnic chinese in Siberia would be affected.
    • Once upon a time, in S1914, the 'distance to the capitol' morale degradation was calculated based on route travel time, including ports and rails. This caused 2 problems:
      1. As we all know, the routes selected by the bystro programs are not necessarily the shortest.
      2. The calculation load on the servers at each day change became significant.
      Thus, the choice was made to go to a simplistic 'crow flight' method. Not perfect, but one of many compromises that must be made to keep the game playable and supportable.
    • WayneBo wrote:

Once upon a time, in S1914, the 'distance to the capitol' morale degradation was calculated based on route travel time, including ports and rails. This caused 2 problems:
      1. As we all know, the routes selected by the bystro programs are not necessarily the shortest.
      2. The calculation load on the servers at each day change became significant.
      Thus, the choice was made to go to a simplistic 'crow flight' method. Not perfect, but one of many compromises that must be made to keep the game playable and supportable.
      Basically this.

To be honest, I still kinda think/thought/would like to know whether it is still crow or infra based. Would be nice if its the latter, if its the former I guess I call my Wildling brethren
    • ScareCrow wrote:

But even in US of A, we have so many illegal hispanic immigrants in California and Arizona and New Mexico it is actually changing the demographics enough to question which nation those immigrants are loyal to.....ie Mexico?
      The same could be said of New York, which is three travel days closer to Washington, DC, than Los Angeles. For every example you can provide of a more distant province being "less loyal," I can provide a counter-example like Kaliningrad, Vladivostok, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc. that is "more loyal," as well as closer provinces that are generally less supportive of foreign military actions such as New York, Boston, Chicago, etc. There should be a more sophisticated and realistic way of accounting for provincial morale/loyalty -- especially for core provinces. I would be more accepting of the now-current general rule as applied to conquered provinces, less so for core provinces, many of which have 150+ (if literally not hundreds of) years of shared history with their current nation state and its capital. Recently conquered provinces are obviously a different kettle of fish.