Poll: Land units turning into ships when they enter the sea is a bad idea

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Poll: Land units turning into ships when they enter the sea is a bad idea

Poll: Land units turning into ships when they enter the sea is worst idea in the history of RTS games 22
        Yes, its the worst idea (3) 14%
        Its a bad idea, but not the worst (8) 36%
        Its not a bad idea (11) 50%
      I think it was a Microsoft RTS game that first eliminated transport ships and had land units transform into boats when they enter the sea instead.
    • For a simple (but also demanding) browser game, in which fortunately was waived on pesky micromanaging, automatic transforming into boats is an elegant and handling friendly solution. :thumbup:

Therefore I have elected Blue.. :D

P.S.
      What a fumbling, if you instead had to build and to place transport ships for every unit... ;)

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D

The post was edited 2 times, last by Restrisiko: P.S. added ().

• Restrisiko wrote:

What a fumbling, if you instead had to build and to place transport ships for every unit...
      If I was the one being invaded I wouldn't mind him having more micromanagement. He can gather into 2 armies and 2 fleets.

The free transport ship system is made worse by there being no supply needs. If each army consumed one supply truck per day, you would need a fleet of transports ferrying supplies to the landing and that could be stopped by the defender. It would also make long distance crossings very difficult.

It is very frustrating as it is impossible to defend against. Even if you spend a large amount of resources to line your coast with submarines, all he has to do is bring one destroyer and he can get through. If there were supply needs, the landing would fail, because it could be cut off from resupply by your subs after it landed.

Yugoslavia can sail across the Mediterranean and Atlantic and land in USA East coast with a stack of tanks and rapidly move inland causing havoc and there's no way to defend against it. Even if you tie down a huge investment in ships to cover the whole coast, he can just bring a few destroyers or a cruiser to cover during the vulnerable 6 hours. You would need a battleship and a few destroyers on every dot to defend. If there was supply need, this would be impossible due to the need for many cargo ships.
    • de Champlain wrote:

Quasi-duck wrote:

I like having ships whenever I want them.
      And I would like having free anti-tank guns appear by clicking on the map. It would really help stopping light tanks from taking my empty provinces.
      Those are two veeeeery different things.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• de Champlain wrote:

Quasi-duck wrote:

Those are two veeeeery different things.
      It is the same. It's as if you could click on the ocean and spawn a free transport ship.
      No it isn't. The AT gun is unit that can actually be used to fight, rather than just moving units.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• No I do not want to spend my valuable game play time generating dozens of transport ships. Is it more realistic? sure.
      Is it fun? nope

Heck why not create an army of trucks to drive supplies here and there, or if your country doesn't have enough trucks maybe you could use a good ole fashioned mule train to run beans and bullets to your men at the front.

Point being the average game user does not want to spend their time handling the logistics that a port master would have to endure in trying to make sure there are enough ships to cart your merry band of warriors from one side of the map to the other.

IMHO the game makers came up with a clever way of transporting troops in this game and I personally thank them for it.

"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war"

"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy."Friedrich Nietzsche
    • the only idea i could maybe support is, that land units still ransform into ships, but that you add a unit(the transport ship), that makes the transport faster and has probably more HP. but noone will like it because more units...
      RPGs are probably the only thing, where the quote L'etat c'est moi fits ^^

Currahee!