Gold with a human face

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Gold with a human face

This is just another article about "How to make CoW better"

Attention for moderators! This article can contain sincere and cynical arguments about the economic model of game and about mechanic of common wealth. If you decide to hide this material from other players community - it's your rigth, but you must report game-admins about this text. Attention for moderators!

1. Balance
      The main important part of game process is a balance. First of all we should realize that perfect balance does not exist, it's a beautiful myth. It's possible just to aim more or less improvement of balance.
      Game currency is a part of the balance. And bonuses, which players can buy by this currency, are game-part too. The most important question is what proportion of these bonuses has influence to gameplay.
      For today (august 2016) the proportion of balance and game-gold is broken. This problem breaks players's fun and hits on the BL's wallet.

Classification of players
      Display Spoiler

1. 60% using only free-gold from first stage of game. Most of them leave CoW after 1-2 weeks.
      2. 20% using gold sometimes and not many 5000-10,000. These players like strategic games and CoW, but there is no enough gold-functions, for which it would be nice to pay.
      3. 10% don't using gold and playing special team-battles between clans. They like CoW too, but they have no fun from buying a victory.
      4. 10% using gold a lot, but other players don't like them much (it's a soft formulation). They are not bad, but they using broken game balance and make a big part of other players don't want to play more.

Criticism should be constructive, that why this article not even shows a problem, but trying to present variants of effective solutions for BL and players. Not compromise, but profitable solution!
      For this solution BL need not to buy a new game-engine or hire 100 progarammers to write a lot of code.

BALANCE - means a very little difference between the opportunities player without gold and player with gold. Using the in-game currency (regardless of how it is received) should not give an advantage to more than 5-10% of any parameter over those who do not use the currency. This correlation is repeatedly proven in other projects. In the case of an ideal development of the game, at least half of the gold-advantages ordinary player should be able to neutralize (spending more time, by performing more tasks etc.). This classical understanding of the situation.

Very important for battlefield conditions to be equal. Conditions of development can be different: ecomomy, building and technologies. But war (a key moment in CoW) MUST be equal for everyone!

It's a simple formula: good balance = more fun for players = more players = more profit for BL = more content = much more fun...etc.

Such game options as: unlimited buying of units, technologies and buildings, increasig of game-moral and golden-spies - they are breaking balance. All of them are analogues of button "KILL ALL".
      And this options have no equivalents. They aren't compensating by usual game options. It spoils the game, unfortunatly.

IMPORTANT! This thread is NOT about cancellation of gold, is NOT about accusations to BL. Nope. This article shows the problem and considering variants of solution.

Example-
      Display Spoiler

Example of game -Boomz- (from Mail)
      It is a comics game like legendary Worms, but without worms. This game has MMORPG system, and players can buy a lot of things, but the main battle-process (shoting like in worms) is changeless from gold-options. Instead of this players are paying for duaration of ther equipmet and another effects.

Compared with -Boomz- from spoiler CoW has broken exactly battle-process, instead of indirect bonuses. But it can be corrected, so that the process will be repaired.

2. Game economy
      The main source of income is donations of players - buying of golden-options. This option is used by all in different scales, so it is certainly need to be in CoW. But not in such formant, which is breaking the balance.
      The second source of profitability - is the special facilities (High Command or premium). Ideally, you should add more features in premium, to make it more attractive for users.
      For example to set a time of missile launching or air-managment - setting of planes behevior in different battle situations.

And the thrid source, which is not using in CoW for now - customisation. It can bring more profits than gold-options.
      Because it's potential audience is much more wide. A lot of player can spend a little money for unique decorations (like in -Team Fortess 2- or -Battlefield heroes-).

3. Suggestions
      We have 4 styles of armies customisation in game for now (Soviet, USA, Japan and Reih). It'll be easilly to make new variants like items in game-shop. Another items of customisation can be variants of buildings (especially forts). It's important to make game-shop more representable, because for now it has only two positions (premium and gold).

More demand will be on the profile customization. Game achivements for now are able only for owner, but it'll be nice to place them into profile information. And player can choose which achivements will be presented. Style and colour of this panels of medals-achivements player will be able to buy in game-shop.

More usefull will be such option as customization-editor, where player can set his own style of units and buildings (and may be colur of nation on map). Editor and packs of details for customization should be separate items.
      For example: you bouying editor and 5 packs of styles. after you can create your own customization from Soviet and USA styles, but without their logos (using your own logo from templates range in editor; not a white star, but a black square).

The following items can diversify game-shop: repairs-packs with 5, 10 and 50 items.
      Packs:
      -sanitary company- (increase HP on 20) for Infantry units; (all such units in stack)
      -company of engineers- (increase HP on 30) for armor units;
      -mechanical parts- (increase HP on 20) for air units;
      -repairmen company- (increase HP on 30) for naval units;

Every player can use packs of one type only 5 times in day. That's how a gold-option bacame a game-mechanic, and demand on it will encrease.

Every player will have his own inventory, attached to his game-account. It this inventory he can to store items and pack, which he bought in game-shop, and using in his games. BUT for each of his games must be set a counter to limit the use of repars-packs.

Examples-
      Display Spoiler

In one map player X used four-sanitary companies- for stack of 8 inf. and he increased their common HP on 100. For this game-day he can use such pack only one times. But in another map this player X can use all 5 times. The only limit of using is a number of pack, which he has in inventory.

As a separate item can be extra-repairs, wich encrease 35 HP for all type of units, but can be used only one times in day.

The same items can be made for boost of boulding and researching.
      -Packs of science-plans- with 5 and 10 items. Eack pack encrease researching for 12 hours. Five types of packs for each technologies brunch (inf, armor, air, secret and naval). Palyer can use any pack only two times in day. (f.e. use one air-plans and one armor).
      For building -overtime construction- packs (-12 hours); 5 times per day
      For producing units -total mobilization- packs (-12 hours) five types of mobilization packs for each brunch of units;
      5 times per day for each type of pack.

The same system can be used for increasing of morale in province - from game-shop items and limited by personal counters on server.
      The same system can be used for espionage. Button -reveal all armies- must be removed.

That's how we can create gold-using with a human face!

Additionally can be made a new game-element - government (added into panel with province administrarion like a third inset.

In government inset player can choose 3 ministers and one -national idea-.
      One minister can be appointed or dismissed only once a day. So player must to choose between changing one of the current ministers or appointting of new.

National idea can be changed only once a 5 days.

Ideas and ministers packs should be separate items is game-shop. So all player will be able to create their own build of government for each game, they are playing.
      Examples of ministers:
      +3% of speed to naval technoligy
      +1% to increasing morale of units when new day is comming
      +2 of resources income
      +5% of income in non-core provinces
      +2.00 HP for inf units
      - etc.

Examples of ideas:
      - speed bonus of morale recovery in provinces "Police nation"
      - +5% to recruits income "Total Mobilization"
      - etc.

So we will have more items in shop = more balance = more game fun = more players = more profit of BL etc...

The post was edited 2 times, last by Mors1917 ().

• Thank you for your interesting suggestions regarding the use of game "gold" -- IMO, some are good suggestions, some bad, and some are interesting and need further discussion.

Here's the bottom line: nothing drives players away from COW faster than an encounter with a gold-bomber who buys his victories or otherwise creates a serious imbalance in games. The first time I saw instantly created units rising from an industrial complex like the skeleton warriors from the old "Jason and the Argonauts" movie, my reaction was "WHAT THE F---?"

My take on the whole thing is that gold use should be limited by game, so that all players in that game are on a relatively equal footing. I would suggest that games should be defined by the amount of gold each player may use in the particular game, such as the following:

1. up to 5,000 gold units per game;
      2. 5,001 to 15,000 gold units per game;
      3. 15,001 to 25,000 gold units per game;

and so on, with the level of permitted gold use stated at the outset. We can argue about the specific levels of gold, etc., but the basic idea would restore some fairness and balance, and do away with the annoying people who try to buy their victories. The use of gold would always be permitted, but players would know going into a game what their expected gold budget would be.
    • What the... I skimmed over this thread, and I have to wonder....who beat you this badly? :D

But seriously? Where are you getting these percentages??? 10% over use gold? What?? From what I see, its more like 1%! And I've been here since June! Back to the first sentence... I can't help but notice...people scream about this "gold injustice" when they just happen to lose to someone with better skill. And in the case they did actually get gold spammed, they rant about it being a much bigger issue than it is. From my experience as a Call of War player I have probably been gold spammed to death once or twice. Most folks can be beat with skill.

If we made everything truly "equal" there would be no incentive to buy gold and thus the company loses profit. Its a business. They earn money through gold. They need people to buy gold.
    • Sir McSquiggles wrote:

I can't help but notice...people scream about this "gold injustice" when they just happen to lose to someone with better skill.
      Not really. My win-loss record in 7 ranked games played to completion speaks for itself: 5 wins, and 2 second-place finishes behind an ally. You have no idea how many new players you lose because they never participate in this forum, and after realizing they were gold-bombed, never return to play again. I'll let Mors1917 speak for himself, but please read my comment above. Most experienced players would appreciate a more level playing field that still allows for the use of game "gold" -- and the whole thing could be far better structured to take advantage of a greater variety and level of specialty units effectively bought through gold-funded research. So stop whinging that those who think the present system is kinda goofy can't win. We can win and we have won, even against gold-bombers. That does not make the present system any less goofy; if the game can be improved, it should be.
    • Sir McSquiggles wrote:

What the... I skimmed over this thread, and I have to wonder....who beat you this badly? :D

But seriously? Where are you getting these percentages??? 10% over use gold? What?? From what I see, its more like 1%! And I've been here since June! Back to the first sentence... I can't help but notice...people scream about this "gold injustice" when they just happen to lose to someone with better skill. And in the case they did actually get gold spammed, they rant about it being a much bigger issue than it is. From my experience as a Call of War player I have probably been gold spammed to death once or twice. Most folks can be beat with skill.

If we made everything truly "equal" there would be no incentive to buy gold and thus the company loses profit. Its a business. They earn money through gold. They need people to buy gold.

I have no problems with fighting against gold. I defeating them by my mind. I havent bought mind form BL. It's mine.
      I played in such games for a long time and know about community and economic problems in MMORPG, browser-MMO, and MOBA-MMO.
      I just wanted to suggest varints direcltly to BL, Other trolling in this thread can be removed by moderators.
      Thnx.
    • I always thought a time based gold system would be better - the first use in given time is cheap, the 2nd time is 2X as much, 3rd time is 3X as much, etc. If you don't use gold for the cool off time, it resets back to the baseline, but if you use it during cool off, it resets cool off time again.

This still allows for money for the game, and might actually generate more in heat of the battle, but also limits the complete overwhelming of a game with 70+ light tanks on day 3 (which I have seen).
    • killemall wrote:

This still allows for money for the game, and might actually generate more in heat of the battle, but also limits the complete overwhelming of a game with 70+ light tanks on day 3 (which I have seen).
      My first experience with a gold-bomber was one who had over 120 ground units by Day 7, with not a single industrial complex greater than level 1! I actually did the math -- it was impossible to produce half that number and mix of units if he had run every one of his ICs 24/7 with unlimited resources. He was obviously buying manpower, steel, oil and goods with gold, and using gold to accelerate production. He had to have spent US $80 to $100 (real money) in the first 7 days. The ultimate outcome was he was defeated by Day 15 when every other player conspired against him. Apparently that was too expensive for him to buy victory. Weirdly, it created a 5-way alliance among most of the rest of the players, and the game ended with no one willing to attack their allies.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

Quasi-duck wrote:

You can't buy MP.
      Sure you can, QD, at the rate of 2500 gold units for 5000 men. Check out the +gold button/icon under manpower on the "stock market."
      Apparently, YOU are not a gold-bomber. LOL
      Didn't know that, thought you could only buy stuff with gold the same way you buy it with money.
      :00000441: Forum Gang Commissar :00000441:

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Quasi-duck wrote:

Didn't know that, thought you could only buy stuff with gold the same way you buy it with money.
      Well, you learned a new trick today, eh?

I've used it once or twice, usually in the early stages of a game, when demand for manpower exceeds supply. Obviously, it's expensive, as I think all gold functions should be. I'm pretty economical in terms of my casualties incurred against AIs, and even human players, so I usually don't need to buy additional manpower in the middle stages of the game when some players are replacing heavy casualties.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

Well, you learned a new trick today, eh?

I've used it once or twice, usually in the early stages of a game, when demand for manpower exceeds supply. Obviously, it's expensive, as I think all gold functions should be. I'm pretty economical in terms of my casualties incurred against AIs, and even human players, so I usually don't need to buy additional manpower in the middle stages of the game when some players are replacing heavy casualties.
      I've only used gold for spying, though maybe to speed up a fort build.

Black Lives Matter!!!!! All Lives Matter!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Quasi-duck wrote:

My biggest use of gold is to accelerate some research cycles. Otherwise, there is simply not enough time -- even when you run research 24/7 from Day 1 -- to be able to use anything like the full range of presently available unit options. And that's assuming you skip the really goofy stuff like railroad guns and rocket planes.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

Quasi-duck wrote:

My biggest use of gold is to accelerate some research cycles. Otherwise, there is simply not enough time -- even when you run research 24/7 from Day 1 -- to be able to use anything like the full range of presently available unit options. And that's assuming you skip the really goofy stuff like railroad guns and rocket planes.
      I tend to leave everything in the secret section except for nuclear bombers, BBN, CVN, and SSN alone.

• Gee whiz, if I ever needed an example of just how abusive and demoralizing the over use of gold can be, let me describe Day 4 of a new Pacific map game I'm in . . . .

One player has 16 tactical bombers, light tanks, artillery and AT units. That player has a single level 2 industrial complex with a level 2 air base. Without gold, each of those 16 TBs would have taken 20 hours to produce, or a total of 320 hours. In order to produce those 16 TBs on an accelerated basis, the player had to spend a minimum of 23,000 gold units -- quite probably a great deal more when partial 12-hour periods are accounted for. That gold total does not include accelerated research cycles, accelerated air field construction, or accelerated production of numerous other units. The player now has over 60 total units only half way through Day 4.

If the Bytro Labs people do not understand how such abusive over use of gold drives away good players -- including many good players who otherwise would buy and spend gold in reasonable amounts -- then they are fools, because their current game rules and business model are not profit-maximizing and are self-defeating.

And for the record, and for the benefit of anyone reading this who has not read my previous comments above, yes, I have bought and used gold in COW games.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MontanaBB ().