Paratrooper unit could be an easy improvment!!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Paratrooper unit could be an easy improvment!!!

I have herd talk of Paratrooper before on this form.
      But think the improvement could be easily implemented using existing units.

As it stands you could make commandos as the default paratrooper.

Commandos have to take air born training before they become Commandos.
      And possibly say that Infantry, Artillery(toad units), anti tank, and anti air units go through air born training at 3rd or 4th level.

And allow a Strategic Bomber to take only one air born unit at a time to an in range drop zone.
      Any time you select both, one or more Strategic Bombers with a combination of one or more air born qualified paratrooper to create a drop zone. I would use the current plane patrol area functions and size to double as a drop zone, with a different color.
      And to make it more realistic, I would make it where the troop ends up in a random place in the drop zone.

Using all existing units, reusing as much existing code and art as possible.

The post was edited 1 time, last by NashBean: Added other units to paratrooper list. ().

• No, do not want paratroopers, I am more of a armor type of guy. But would use the feature to move my toad armor around faster. And from a programmers stand point, it would be a big addition with very little coding needed. If done the way I outlined above.
      Also have herd complaints of under powered planes vs ships. This would offset that a little.

Long ago I had the pleasure of working with a vet, that was a former 101st air born ranger, and was a paratrooper on D-Day. Most all of his unit was dead before they hit the ground. But the fact that paratroops were a part of WWII,
      makes them ideal, to be added to this great game.

The crates seem cool, but I have not finished any of them at this time. Therefore have not used any of the units at this point.

The post was edited 2 times, last by NashBean: correcting spelling ().

• C Source Code: DropZone.h

1. #include <vector>
      2. struct unit;// from existing code;
      3. struct selected_units // from existing code
      4. {
      5. std::vector<unit> ref;
      6. public:
      7. bool contains(unit u){
      8. for(size_t i=0;i<ref.size();++i)
      9. if(ref[i] == u)
      10. return true;
      11. return false;
      12. };
      13. bool contains_drop_unit();//todo
      14. };
      15. // existing function under other name
      16. void mouse_down_plane_patrol(selected_units& su);
      17. // reuse this function changing color of circle
      18. void mouse_down_plane_drop(selected_units& su);
      19. // existing function under other name
      20. void mouse_up_plane_patrol(selected_units& su);
      21. // reuse this function changing color of circle
      22. void mouse_up_plane_drop(selected_units& su)
      23. {
      24. mouse_up_plane_patrol(color cc};
      25. process_drop(su);
      26. };
      27. // todo with random drop function
      28. void process_drop(selected_units& su);
      Display All
      Some of my AI work: github.com/NashBean/GameBots

My cross platform version of UTF-8 formatted char, string, and text; that will hold any ANSII or Unicode char:
      github.com/NashBean/UTF-8_Vector/blob/master/Uchar.h

My competitive coding profile :
      hackerearth.com/@nashbean

The post was edited 3 times, last by NashBean: added to code. ().

• I was thinking that Paratroopers are a great idea! (Its the reason I made an Account on the forums!)
      I was thinking that you could have lets say you have a level 1 Parachute plane thing xD I dont know what to call them.
      This plane can hold 2 infantry being level 1, and at level 5 it holds about 8? (That might be too OP) You may be thinking that this would be RUBBISH AND TOO OP! However you could increase the abilties of AA guns! If you were able to make the AA guns have a kind of patroling system where a small blue circle would go around the AA and IF a plane went over it (even to bomb somewhere much further away) it would be shot at. I was also thinking that cargo planes would be a cool idea (I'd probably have them carry less troops, AND only armoured units) One last thing, another thing about those 2 planes would be that they have low defence and offence stats, because you dont see them shooting down BF109's in the movies do you?
    • BillyFoot wrote:

I was thinking that Paratroopers are a great idea! (Its the reason I made an Account on the forums!)
      I was thinking that you could have lets say you have a level 1 Parachute plane thing xD I dont know what to call them.
      This plane can hold 2 infantry being level 1, and at level 5 it holds about 8? (That might be too OP) You may be thinking that this would be RUBBISH AND TOO OP! However you could increase the abilties of AA guns! If you were able to make the AA guns have a kind of patroling system where a small blue circle would go around the AA and IF a plane went over it (even to bomb somewhere much further away) it would be shot at. I was also thinking that cargo planes would be a cool idea (I'd probably have them carry less troops, AND only armoured units) One last thing, another thing about those 2 planes would be that they have low defence and offence stats, because you dont see them shooting down BF109's in the movies do you?
      The AA with a range should be a thing even if there are no paratroops planes, it makes no sense that guns made to shoot at airplanes can only shoot in defence, so either a patrol style circle or artillery style range should be implemented for Anti-Aircraft guns
    • It is a bad idea to have paratroopers, and the simple answer is,
      If you have paratroopers, it is easy to abuse, because then all you have to do,
      is paradrop your troops on enemy capital and capture it, taking all of the resources from the Capital
      and making you too powerful.

This could break game balance. As much as i would love to use the troop, it is exploitable.
    • Air Born Ranger, Air Born Ranger, where have you been?
      I been around the world and back again.

Air Born Ranger, Air Born Ranger, how did you go?
      I went in a C one thirty, flying low.

Here is a current picture of my old unit, loading a rocket system onto a C-130. :)

I do not see more then one unit at a time.
      Images
      • c130.jpg

17.56 kB, 340×272, viewed 84 times

The post was edited 2 times, last by NashBean ().