¿How would you make Call of War a competitive game?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ¿How would you make Call of War a competitive game?

I think the title it's self-explanatory for the what i want you ask you guys. What would you change/add to make Call of War a competitive game?

Even if you think Call of War shouldn't be more competitive, let us know ;)
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

Manual: Básico y Machiavelli
    • Competitive in what way?

Level playing field (removing gold)?
      Tournaments/Leagues (like in S1914)?
      Other options (medals, bonusses for winning games etc) to entice people to stick around longer?
      Balancing units (you guys are already working on it)?
      Able to create/find games with equally skilled players?

At the core the game is fine and competitive though. With obviously a bias towards (very) active players. I dont know how you could solve that, unless Bytro is prepared to use a chess like model, where players are on the clock to make their moves.
    • The first thing I would work on is finding a way to keep people more interested in the games they are in. So many games end up retiring long before they are over due to everyone going inactive. Need to stimulate more play somehow.

Think about it like poker. In poker you have blinds and antes in order to force play, you just can't sit back and wait for your ideal situation to make a move or the blinds and antes will break you. You have to chose a moment and act. This game needs the same thing somehow. Maybe a hyper strong AI that is in every game that will force players to stay up or something idk..

The game is competitive enough, just need to figure out an incentive to keep players interested in the game when it starts to go stale and no one wants to make a move. Something needs to force play imo...
      "It is even better to act quickly and err than to hesitate until the time of action is past." - Karl Von Clausewitz

• miech wrote:

Competitive in what way?

Other options (medals, bonusses for winning games etc) to entice people to stick around longer?

At the core the game is fine and competitive though. With obviously a bias towards (very) active players. I dont know how you could solve that, unless Bytro is prepared to use a chess like model, where players are on the clock to make their moves.
      All those ways you mention and more if there's something you didn't mention yet ;)
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

• nemuritor98_ wrote:

miech wrote:

Competitive in what way?

All those ways you mention and more if there's something you didn't mention yet ;)
      First will never happen;) so useless to bring it up (even though its the golden solution to the question).

Tournies, Im surprised they arent here yet, they were a big moneymaker for Bytro in S1914. As I understood a yearly tourney could bring in 50-70% of the yearly revenue.

Medals are a nice way (again, copy paste code from 1914). Also, what Atowngtr mentions. Inactiveness breeds inactiveness, which breeds disinterest, which breeds lack of competition. So perhaps the main goal should be to find a way to solve this. But I have no solution, since this question has been around longer then even the gold question:D.

Unit balancing, multiple initiates currently, you know the ones I speak of;). Now all we have to do is wait (has that excel sheet already been passed forward?)

Equally skilled players - in terms of game code, we probably can only select by level (which doesnt represent skill), guess its better to have that then nothing at all (again - copy paste code from 1914). At least I would be able to create games where not 50% consists of level 1s where 90% quits near instantly
    • I would like to see a sort of "reputation" for players that would allow you to limit your map to allow only players who have a history of not dropping early. A simple player level requirement might be nearly as good.

Aside from that, if you want competitive play you have to arrange it yourself by hand-picking the players on the map. That means joining an alliance that plays team games vs other alliances... Or you could get a few friends together and join the same map agreeing to play on different teams I suppose.
    • For me,you should add stuff happening in the country.For example,maybe there could be riots if the economy is low(if you add the stock-market)or maybe if you leave your country for too long,your gold will be removed.
      If someone asks why we have a good life in Arstotzka:

GLORY TO ARSTOTZKA!
    • Missed the Point:

I think the point was how to make CoW more competitive against other sites.
      The answer for that is: stop reintroducing the same bugs, over and over, and then bragging about how you have stomped out the same bugs, yet again!
      Just for example, the by-pass bug has re-occurred on S1914 and here several times over the last 5 years, and has only partially been resolved on CoW in the latest update!
    • WayneBo wrote:

that's the job of the marketing department, we can't do many there

the point was how to make CoW more competitive itself, if you get another game, let's say League of Legends, you have the competitive way, but also the fun way and many other games of this stile, you can even take others of strategy such as Starcraft II.

From my point of view, if Bytro wants to make CoW more competitive it needs some basic things:

-Balanced map for teamfight battles.
      -Balanced map for individual battles.
      -Rework of the ranking, what we actually have is a ranking that shows who gets the most points and it can be obtained by different ways, what we need is a ranking based on skill or as near as possible to a skill ranking
      -Give a full sense of ranked to a ranked game, once more, compared to League of Legends, rankeds are pretty important there and many players just choose to not play them and play the normal ones, those for fun, which is nice too, but in cow all the games are ranked without it being a trully ranked game.
      -Official tournaments/leagues. Of course, support team/players created some of these things but it's semi-official(support team) or not official at all(players), Bytro must bet for this type of things if they want to make it more competitive.

• nemuritor98_ wrote:

WayneBo wrote:

that's the job of the marketing department, we can't do many there
      the point was how to make CoW more competitive itself, if you get another game, let's say League of Legends, you have the competitive way, but also the fun way and many other games of this stile, you can even take others of strategy such as Starcraft II.

From my point of view, if Bytro wants to make CoW more competitive it needs some basic things:

-Balanced map for teamfight battles.
      -Balanced map for individual battles.
      -Rework of the ranking, what we actually have is a ranking that shows who gets the most points and it can be obtained by different ways, what we need is a ranking based on skill or as near as possible to a skill ranking
      -Give a full sense of ranked to a ranked game, once more, compared to League of Legends, rankeds are pretty important there and many players just choose to not play them and play the normal ones, those for fun, which is nice too, but in cow all the games are ranked without it being a trully ranked game.
      -Official tournaments/leagues. Of course, support team/players created some of these things but it's semi-official(support team) or not official at all(players), Bytro must bet for this type of things if they want to make it more competitive.
      I would love a true ranked system, not a ranked system that is basically 'start 50 games, spam buildings like mad, archive, rince and repeat'. There is something called Elo. That would solve a lot in regard to ranking for the more competitive people out there. Sure, that can also be abused, but in general you will see the best players float around the top 50. And its not hard to implement.

Im baffled why Bytro still hasnt introduced tourneys - they were big moneymakers in S1914. Aside from whether I personally like gold infused tourneys, businesswise they should have started it 18 months ago;).
    • In case it was answered..
      1) limit the amount of air planes on an air field. Does it really make sense to have 50 divs of bombers and fighters off lvl 1 air field? Refueling and all? They should be graduated. Lvl one allow 10, lvl 2 allow 15, or whatever is more realistic, but you see the point. Not enough to limit good game play but to restrict god modding somewhat.. If you're going to god mod, make it really expensive get more money out of the big spenders. :)

2 Add river obstacles with bridges that can take damage in applicable places.
    • Ben Wheeldon wrote:

In case it was answered..
      1) limit the amount of air planes on an air field. Does it really make sense to have 50 divs of bombers and fighters off lvl 1 air field? Refueling and all? They should be graduated. Lvl one allow 10, lvl 2 allow 15, or whatever is more realistic, but you see the point. Not enough to limit good game play but to restrict god modding somewhat.. If you're going to god mod, make it really expensive get more money out of the big spenders. :)

2 Add river obstacles with bridges that can take damage in applicable places.
      How would it make the game more competitive? i don't get it