Add bridges as new type of construction to the game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Add bridges as new type of construction to the game

I suggest to add bridges as new type of construction
      between 2 close provinces
      the benefit of bridges is to reduce land units moving time from one province
      to another

Some Players do not like to start them map with
      Countries Like Turkey ,Egypt ,Japan,Indonesia, New Genia ,Panama,Cuba ,UK
      are not preferred countries to start with

because one or more of these countries provinces are separated totally by a sea

so to to move land troop to that province I need more than 6 Hours

3 hours to embark first province + another 3 hours to embark to the second province + the sail time

Ex
      If my country Is Turkey
      to move my troops from Istanbul to Bursa
      I need more than 6 hours
      which is unfair
      in this modern technology time
      where countries can establishing long bridges above water

Building ports and improving it is level reducing the travel time between sea provinces
      but it stile need minimum 3 hours to move troops for small distance

today Turkey ,Japan ,Egypt ,Norway and Denmark
      all are can building bridges to reduce travel time

so I suggest adding bridges to cover certain small distance between same country provinces

so if I want to build a bridge I have to build its 2 heads on the tow provinces I want to connect them together.
      so If I have Egypt and I want to connect Port Said to Suze with one bridge
      I have to build 2 bridges heads points . First point in Port Said and the second point in Suze

we might also have a research for that purpose

Research 1/2 Kilo meter bridges
      Research 1 Kilo meter bridges
      Research 2 Kilo meter bridges as Example

so if I do the research
      I get the bridges technology and then I can start building a bridge head point

and the time of crossing the bridge should be close or the same time of troops moving on the normal ways
      thanks
    • Bridges would logically require rivers or canals.
      Now I know alot of us want Rivers and such for defense...I fully support this
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

"The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

Game Username: LordStark01
    • I had suggested a very similar idea a few months ago.

And you are right, bridges need the same mechanics as rivers.

My proposal used an object like a non moving unit of an AI player, which is able to bind foreign units in a combat, has a defense value and can be modified by the new type of engineer.

• At gamestart the units with the "river" flag get placed on several roads (where logically rivers cross these roads)
      • Wants any unit pass the river unit a non lethal battle is initiated which lasts a time (passagetime)
      • The engineer gets a combatvalue which is made to change the river flag to a bridge flag.
      • The bridgeflagged AI unit is friendla to everybody und no combat is initiated while passing.
      • Nethertheless the engineer is able to attack the bridge and change the flag back to river.

My original idea I proposed contained some other flags too, like a small neutral airfield unit similar to a landbased non moving CV (created by engineers)

Or a land or sea mine flag, non moving, placed by engineers.

All this ideas are using the same game mechanics of an neutral, non moving unit, placed somewhere on the road. So its easy to code.
    • Thats a greater problem, because the given canals panama suez and other are actually real sea distances between landmasses at all maps, but not in reality.

In my opinion a canal is not such a distance that you need an oversea shipping to cross it.

Bridges and rivers of my proposal only affect land units on landmasses, not anything in a sea area.

So if you want to cross a landmass per ship, you need a new shipway (coast to coast) over land first to code a real canal. You intended a type of bridge that is able to cross miles of sea like the golden gate bridge, the florida keys bridge or the denmark sound bridge (planned but not yet built).

I think that long bridges have a right to exist, but it has to be a lot of easier to cross a canal like panama or suez, because there are actually locks that are inbuilt bridges.

So in my opinion it was a different situation to look at real distances between isles or canals which cross a natural landmass.
    • Not kidding, I was always thinking about this and I just recently joined the forum. When I sw this thread I just had to read it. Brides would be an amazing addition to the game.
      btw another country that would like this would be British Colombia.
    • I fully agree with you,it is needed bridges to cross natural obstacles like small rivers (that should be added), bridges is strategically fundamental in any war,but we need a perfect shape on how could it work.

In my opinion, should have "small" rivers around the map, following the real ones of courses, but only as obstacles, impossible to go through them, and bridges shoulld be build to avoid them, I fully agree with you.
    • ....a perfect shape on how could it work....

exactly!

So we have to think about different options how it could work and how not and whats the smartest way to conclude all these nice ideas within one fine solution.

First we have to define exactly where these obstacles could be located. Forsure a distance between coast and isle or two coasts is a completely different thing than a river inside a land area.

The question is, can we simplify the problem to one kind of obstacles which adapts all possible options?

Has a river to be located within or between land areas? Depending on that decision the solution will be very different.

For the case of rivers between areas it could be easier to adapt this mechanic to coast to coast bridges, but very more difficult to understand bridges as a property or a building of ONE area, which would be easier if the river leads through and inside an area.

I dont have an all in one solution yet. That are questions that had to be discussed
    • im 100% for rivers+bridges!
      And I want them to look like bridges like in command and conquer red alert 1 ^^

Should be buildable/repairable, but island nations should not be able to build them from australia to new guinea (atleast keep it a little bit realistic, that distance irl is almost impossible too) besides, it would be too dificult for devs to implement bridges over large bodies of water, as units will get bugged, stuck, selfdestructive, navy ant pass or navy gets stuck on a tank etc..

But a bridge on short distances like istanbull turkey hell yeah. Anything above 5km long is unrealistic, actually anything above 500mtrs long already is starting to become unrealistic lol
    • In my opinion the only way to differentiate between the distances of channels like Istanbul, Panama or Suez and the large distance between Australia and New Zealand is to use different types of the water itself.

Its not usefull to count the meters the bridge has, because you dont know which distances the coasts has.

So you need a type of water area, which differs from the deep water.
      The "light blue" water ist crossable by bridges not depending of the distance, but only for explicite routes.

In addition you can have rivers between provinces that are not passable by ships or only by small ships as submarines and destroyers.

But fact is, you can only manage this by competely upgrade the maps with additional terrain types.