Hornetkeeper Senior Chief Warrant Officer

• from Prague East district, Czech republic (yes that's on Earth for you Americans;D)
  • Member since Dec 12th 2020
Last Activity

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• whowh -

What's happening from July 3rd to August 1st?

And did you see the Czech Republic vs Denmark football game? I just finished watching it when I saw that you were from Prague.

• Hornetkeeper -

From the district east of Prague, to be certain. No, I don't watch football, sorry... I know we lost tho.

• Marshal Sierra -

I did watch the latest game of Chesea F.C. v Manchester City

• Karl von Krass -

Hornet has good advice such as "git gud" and "shawwww" (idk what the 2nd one's supposed to mean.)

• whowh -

Help channel guy...

Thanks for saving the noobs

• MiloK32 -

Ever got on the help channel whowh?

• whowh -

Sometimes. Most people on the chat aren't very smart

• BrutusTrump -

Truer words have never been said.

• MiloK32 -

aight I gotta unfollow

• AMG Morgan -

Hello I wanted to ask for some advice. I am kinda of new player and I always looking to improve. I wanted to ask what do you need in terms of invasions in day 1 to 5. Do you settle down and take over ai and let your economy boost a bit or do you attack human players asap. Also I am aware that if you have borders with two countries you go for the weaker player but what do I do if they are both good.

• Hornetkeeper -

If you go for AI, you're destroying your popularity and undermining your future performance, but the impact of popularity is little if you play it right. Also, attacking multiple AI gives a larger morale boost from the capitals, so it has a decisive role in growth. Attacking players is a high-risk high reward. I personally like combining (you conquer a player or two quickly and then the close by AI) as that also gives morale to the cities you've taken from the players, making your military production far more flexible.
      The main concern in battles, as mentioned in the guide, is finding engagements where you're as strong against the enemy as possible. If you have 10 identical units against 1, they will give 10 hits to the 1 unit every time they attack, and it will only give them 1 hit back. So, they will end up losing 1/10 as much total hp as the enemy 1 unit. This you can make use of, mostly by using bombers. You stack them into large groups and find the weakest armies in range.
      It's key to find the best engagements and take them before your enemy reacts and saves his forces. You need bombers for stopping counterattacks usually, it's still better to prevent serious economic damage at the cost of not being as effective in the engagement. Meanwhile, your forward units should take all important cities and destroy the armies most resistant to bombers. The rest you can bomb to death.

Using bombers is best against:
      - The small armies.
      - The armies that aren't reachable for your land units, and are:
      close to merging into a large army, which would make it difficult to destroy in the future.
      heading to your unprotected economy.
      upgrading to a far higher level.
      - The armies whose strength against your land units is the greatest compared to their strength against bombers.
      - - -
      If they are both good, wait. Most "good" players still go inactive at some point. You should increase your security by:
      building planes and having a long-ranged one (lv1 strat bomber?) to scout the enemy army composition
      wise investments in the economy, investigate all your spending to determine which resources you need to boost
      securing key positions (those likely to get attacked), preferably with a combination of meatshield units (militia, AA); for larger fronts, you need to be active and have fast units to defend.

• AMG Morgan -

Okay thanks understood also I one more thing I hope you don't mind. Do you have any tips for comintern more specifically stack tips. Comintern is probably the only doctrine which I struggle with. Personally I am thinking 2 army types. Army type 1 consists of tank destroyers infantry and both artillery plus anti air of course. This army type is good for late game and midgame but I have found it. To be bad early game because you don't really have good answer to tanks ordnance artillery while cheaper does very low damage. Army 2 is generally better in all phases but its loots of rare. It's consists of infantry tank destroyers or heavy tanks. And sp rocket artillery and of course attack bombers. The early attack bombers means you have good answer to tanks but then again it's loots of rare. And if you have another stacks to recommend that are better than these one's I would appreciate it. Thank once more

• Hornetkeeper -

Comintern are slow and good at straight-up fights. Smaller fronts are the best fronts. Tank destroyers are defensive units suited for defending large fronts, so those don't make sense in the Comintern composition. The main is a lot of artillery with infantry and anti-tanks forward, later can add heavy tanks. Spam tons of militia and AA and add them to your armies to make them far more resistant to damage. Comintern is just very good at slow and steady offensives but sucks on large fronts as there it's easy to outmanoeuvre the slow stacks and destroy the Comintern economy or the smaller stacks and reinforcements. This makes Comintern very good at getting rid of lategame AIs, which also tend to fight with huge stacks, and new players whose favourite is of course heavy tanks.

• AMG Morgan -

The reason I used tank destroyers was because I wanted to make it more hard to counter. I learned the hard way that infantry and anti tank while good and easy to spam are very weak to rocket artillery and tactical bombers. Anyway your suggestion that I use infantry heavy tanks anti tank and anti air. Plus supported by rocket artillery also if I use all of these units won't my units be overstocked. Or is that the point??

• Hornetkeeper -

As I explained earlier, "overstacking" as a concept of combat mechanics does not exist. The only reason not everyone makes huge stacks is they're concentrated and slow power which needs proper protection against everything, making the research costly. However, Comintern have the spam potential, making them better at just spamming homogenous armies and offsetting the less significant vulnerabilities.
      Tactical bombers are not an issue, if you do the meatshield and don't forget AA. Rocket artillery can be deadly if used properly, but Comintern, again, tend to have mass of hp, so they can push through the hell. Raiding units (mot inf/AC) are useful for every doctrine, which I forgot to mention. Those get rid of rocket artillery easily.

• AMG Morgan -

I have read your axis guide very good btw. But I wanted to ask how do you deal with the food crisis. I am testing it out in a world at war. And I am already out of food plus it's very expensive to buy on the market.

• Hornetkeeper -

This is a problem that usually occurs if you don't manage to build up industry and conquer the player country's capital and food cities, or if you don't have any rural provinces with food production, or spend food on recruiting stations, propaganda offices or extra Barracks. It's the main weakness of this strategy. If you do it well, though, you should be able to have 10+ mot infantry at the start of day 3. After that, you'll probably re-focus on recruiting stations and tanks.
      Food is almost always expensive at the market, so if you run out, I recommend ceasing mot infantry production and if you have extra iron or oil, start medium tanks (Edit: adding tactical bombers instead is also a great idea as rare materials are cheap and the tacs are also more effective against infantry than MT overall).

• AMG Morgan -

I have followed the guide as best as I can. I not built any recruiting stations nor propaganda nor extra barracks. I have only built the two barracks you suggested and I am in the process of upgrading them to level 2. And in terms of invasions I have not invaded anyone yet since it's day one. And you said to invade when you had 5 motorized

• Hornetkeeper -

Maybe I should edit it by removing the 4 infantry and the need for two lv2 barracks. I more frequently do one, as it leaves me with extra food to sell. You have a point, lv2 barracks are pretty expensive.

• AMG Morgan -

Honestly I think you can get away with just one barrack. motorized takes 7 hours to research if you join the game as early as possible. Like 23 hours in. By the time motorized finishes researching. It should like 16 to 15 hours before daychange and if you upgrade the barrack to level 2. You can make 5 motorized in. 15 to 16 hours using just one barrack. The mathhs might be wrong I know.

• AMG Morgan -

Also I did the maths at the start of the game you start with 16k food. if you add all the costs of researching infantry motorized infantry and then barracks and level 2 barracks. You will remain with 8.3k food which is more than enough to build 5 motorized

Note this is if you build only one barrack. And upgrade it

• Karl von Krass -

Join my alliance family, will give u charge of The Hornet Spire.

• Hornetkeeper -

Lol, I'm not active enough to run a proper alliance those days. Thanks for the offer though.

• Karl von Krass -

Am bad at maths

• AMG Morgan -

Thanks for replaying on my post I would like to ask one question. i have read the forums quite a bit about overstacking what I have understood about it is. that overstacking while it lowers your sbde it makes your units very bulky. overrstacking is good for defending key positions and but if you want to attack it best to follow sbde. what do you think about this, is is true or false.

• Hornetkeeper -

SBDE was removed (limited to reflecting lowered damage due to low health, respectively). There is no decrease in damage efficiency depending on army size, the limit now works a different way.
      Large stacks can be used for fighting over key positions, but prefer units that are cheap to upgrade so that you can have a complex army with more counters.
      Focusing on too many unit types results in them being lower level, sometimes making them ineffective even against the unit they counter. This means you need an army composition that is difficult to counter with focusing on one unit type, and affordable to upgrade to max levels at the same time. You also have to balance the levelling-up, or the low-level units will slow down the whole army. Even if upgraded properly, some counter units are relatively slow, meaning your enemy can easily outmanoeuvre you with smaller stacks of fast units (like mot infantry). As those are fast, it's difficult to prepare and counter them effectively. Bombers usually work the best, but that's an extra research cost, which results either in the bombers being low-level (and mot inf or AC have a decent defence against planes, so the bombers will be ineffective) or in the land units being very weak, if you focused on the bombers. And if the land units are weak, enemy forces can concentrate and breakthrough to snipe the airports and disable the planes. Military sabotage and rockets can also disable airforce (I recommend building a lot of different buildings in provinces if you need to protect an important building, like the airport, and upgrading it). For all those reasons, large stacks are considered very ineffective on large fronts.

For the overall stacking effectivity, please refer to this post:
      forum.callofwar.com/index.php?…&postID=247228#post247228

If there is still a need for clarification of the army size penalty, I think this one explains it well.
      forum.callofwar.com/index.php?…&postID=245000#post245000

• AMG Morgan -

Thanks for the reply. also how many units would be too much is there a specific number???

• Hornetkeeper -

The posts I referred to would explain it if you read them. As you can see there:

Basically, if using 1-10 units the square law first seems to apply. So 3 units have the strength of 9, 4 units the strength of 16 etc. This turns out to not be as drastic: if we ram a single tank into two the two end with 75% health left (actually slightly more due to damage efficiency). That means they have 75% health * 80% damage = 60% strength, so they lost more than 25% of their overall strength in the battle. However, stacking units would still be very advantageous on the small scale.

Normally, if your army is smaller than 11 and you fight, the damage of your whole army combined is used against all armour classes. However, if the army is 11 and larger, only the top 10 units with the highest damage against an armour class determine the army's damage against it.
      This does not mean that only 10 units can contribute to the fight. If 10 AT guns and 10 Infantry get attacked by enemy tanks and infantry, the damage of the 10 AT guns is used against the tanks and the 10 Infantry against the infantry. So only 10 units are fighting each armour class but it can be more than 10 units contributing overall. This makes large stacks effective in straight-up battles.
      Another factor supporting large stacks is the damage efficiency. The damage efficiency of a larger stack goes down slower as there's more health, so the smaller stack's damage falls faster through the fight. In a fight of 100 tanks against 10 tanks the 100 tanks actually win with 94% health left instead of 90%.
      But before we start celebrating, the 100-stack would now have 94% health * 95.2% damage = 89.49% strength. This means the 100-stack lost more than 10% of its fighting value. Larger stacks of a single unit type apparently don't turn out to be very effective.

If you make a large stack you don't want it destroyed, so most players will add a lot of different counter units to it, making it slow. Slow force and concentrated on top of that, means your enemy can easily pass through and devastate your economy, or disable your airforce, gaining a large advantage over you. For this reason, many players prefer smaller stacks for distracting, taking the initiative and not allowing the opponent to do counter-damage to the economy.

• BrutusTrump -

Your info about your location is underestimating us Muricans. We know basic geography. What is it like in the Cech Empire?

• Marshal Sierra -

It's not cech. It was Czechoslovakia, it's now Czech Republic, aka. Czechia, or the other part is called Slovakia, the nation divided in two because of economical and political issues.

• BrutusTrump -

Yes. I know. It was a joke about his wall. He said that Americans wouldn’t know where the Czech Republic is. I, being an American, made a joke about not knowing what it is, hence the Cech Empire.

• whowh -

Tell me, which of your units represent your "hornets"? I'm assuming bombers but I could be wrong.

• Hornetkeeper -

Interceptors. RL hornets are very ineffective against quantity of small creatures like ants, but are good at hunting down other predators and large insects overall.

Similarly, interceptors are ineffective against the numerous ground armies but excel at getting rid of bombers, which are the "predator" of ground armies (and strategic bombers are the "not predators, but still big insects" part).

• whowh -

Interesting.

• BrutusTrump -

Hello, Hornet. My alliance Challenged yours. Would you like to join?

• Hans_ze_panzer -

Imagine having hornets, I have to have AA set up so the wasps don't get to me. Haven't seen a hornet in a while though.

• Prince of darkness -

Hi hornet

• Fox-Company -

wut is that picture

• MiloK32 -

a hornet

• Hornetkeeper -

A hornet trying to bite through my finger but I changed the colour a bit:)

• Prince of darkness -

Why

• Hifive5 -

Hey hornet how are u

• Hifive5 -

Hello

• Honeybee kepeer -

Hi, in global someone thought I am you

• Hornetkeeper -

I never keep honeybees.

• Honeybee kepeer -

Bees , did you know the Japanese bee kills the Asian hornet by meeting into its give then eating till it kills one of the bees than they all pounce on the hornet holding it so it can’t move then they start overheating the hornet

• Hornetkeeper -

The bees attract the hornet into the hive instead of going out to attack it, that's the trick. That they heat it is smart, but overemphasized as some bee species can also kill it with stings. The point is to let the hornet in first so it can't escape the attack to bring the other hornets with it.

• Alexandera Nevsky -

You're not following me :(

• Hornetkeeper -

Yeah sorry, following too many people takes up brain storage, can't afford with 3 brain cells

• Alexandera Nevsky -

lmao

• Electrich -

what do you want, why are you following me

• Alexandera Nevsky -

I officially quit call of war for a year, I'll be back 2022, but I never said anything about forum. And yes, a coalition of newbies beat me ; ( so yeah, that's that.

• Hornetkeeper -

Scary hornet goes brrr?
    True dat I didn't reply, let them speculate. Creative ideas may come out.
    Hi everyone.

• Aritemis -

Haha so far, hornet didn't reply to a single post on his wall.

• Mr. Waffltonn -

Shcary hornet goes brrrr

• Hmsbismarck -

What

• Aritemis -

The scary hornet goes "brrrr". Mr. Waffle needs to attend language arts starting from first grade.

• MiloK32 -

oh hi hornet!

• Fox-Company -

scary bug

• Fox-Company -

now i'ma have nightmares

• Claudio von Panjim -

Fake or real

• Hmsbismarck -

Remember me

• Hmsbismarck -

Hi mr hornet