ENCIRCLEMENTS

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• a way of doing this could be to use the units Production cost as a baseline for supplies if surrounded units at day change don't get healed have 1 24 hour grace period before the clock starts then units start loosing a fixed number of resources every hour based on their type if the stack runs out of oil they cant move if they run out of goods no ranged firing if they run out of food they are eliminated you could request a fixed amount and type of supply drop from an airbase or air field could which you could choose what resource to send exempt militia and commandos form these rules units with a coast you could request a supply ship from your ports both the plane and ship would have to get to the encircled units after they were produced
    the air base and pots could request supply drops based on the level of the base or port.
  • Carking the 6th wrote:

The Mister Class wrote:

Encirclements aren't complex at all, I tried to make it as simple as possible. Little complexity is what we need, a big update and they should introduce seasons also.
    I think seasons are a bit too much, and may throw things off. But encirclements are not a bad idea, though you’d need to have some way to define them. Is it land not connected to your capital? Any land surrounded by enemies with only a certain amount of provinces? Do ports prevent them? For example would East Prussia in the HWW map be encircled?
    I would say that the "land not connected to the capital would be more like supply lines.

The Mister Class wrote:

Yup agreed with the suggestions
    They are all pretty good, Commandos and Paratroopers should be exempt, It might be a bit too powerful if militia are though. I think that ships should also be able to make naval encirclements, and possibly even blockades.
    President of The Forum.

(As elected October 2023).

Can be found on Call of War itself as "Zaktty".
  • Zaktty wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

The Mister Class wrote:

Encirclements aren't complex at all, I tried to make it as simple as possible. Little complexity is what we need, a big update and they should introduce seasons also.
    I think seasons are a bit too much, and may throw things off. But encirclements are not a bad idea, though you’d need to have some way to define them. Is it land not connected to your capital? Any land surrounded by enemies with only a certain amount of provinces? Do ports prevent them? For example would East Prussia in the HWW map be encircled?
    I would say that the "land not connected to the capital would be more like supply lines.

The Mister Class wrote:

Yup agreed with the suggestions
    They are all pretty good, Commandos and Paratroopers should be exempt, It might be a bit too powerful if militia are though. I think that ships should also be able to make naval encirclements, and possibly even blockades.
    All good for the most part. Though I’m still not sure about the size. How big can an encircled place be? Would the British empire be for example restricted? I guess ports solve the issue but how will blockades work? Block every route to a countries capital by sea or land? Do trade embargo fleets cause blockades?

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
  • Carking the 6th wrote:

All good for the most part. Though I’m still not sure about the size. How big can an encircled place be? Would the British empire be for example restricted? I guess ports solve the issue but how will blockades work? Block every route to a countries capital by sea or land? Do trade embargo fleets cause blockades?
    First, there should the amount of health loss in an encirclement should go down the more provinces encircled.

Secondly, I think the limit should be 3-5 provinces since an attacking army probably could hold that.

That should be different if naval blockades are added.
    President of The Forum.

• Zaktty wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

First, there should the amount of health loss in an encirclement should go down the more provinces encircled.
    Secondly, I think the limit should be 3-5 provinces since an attacking army probably could hold that.

That should be different if naval blockades are added.
    How would the amount of health lost work? Does it depend on how many units you have? How long you get cut off? How many provinces you have? Etc… what are the numbers? Plenty of details to smooth over here!

• 3-5 provinces will be ideal for En. Every unit will have a fixed percentage of health drained, and a stack will drain its health in average of the percentage. Like if a stack has 3 units which drain 5%,10% and 3% health daily coz of En. then the health drained by the stack will be (5+10+3) %/3=6% of total health. That's how it will work. Armies, however, should be encircled for 24 hours to drain health, it's not like En. rules will apply if you are only encircled for 5hr. The smaller the number of encircled provinces the more health will be drained.
    in simple words, every unit will drain different % of health for the number of provinces encircled.

If all the naval paths to a certain piece of land/unit is also blocked, then it will be considered to be Encircled and the rules will apply.
    TMC
  • The Mister Class wrote:

3-5 provinces will be ideal for En. Every unit will have a fixed percentage of health drained, and a stack will drain its health in average of the percentage. Like if a stack has 3 units which drain 5%,10% and 3% health daily coz of En. then the health drained by the stack will be (5+10+3) %/3=6% of total health. That's how it will work. Armies, however, should be encircled for 24 hours to drain health, it's not like En. rules will apply if you are only encircled for 5hr. The smaller the number of encircled provinces the more health will be drained.
    in simple words, every unit will drain different % of health for the number of provinces encircled.

If all the naval paths to a certain piece of land/unit is also blocked, then it will be considered to be Encircled and the rules will apply.
    Is a city as much as one province? So if your cut off but you have a city it’s the same as if it was just provinces?

• Carking the 6th wrote:

The Mister Class wrote:

3-5 provinces will be ideal for En. Every unit will have a fixed percentage of health drained, and a stack will drain its health in average of the percentage. Like if a stack has 3 units which drain 5%,10% and 3% health daily coz of En. then the health drained by the stack will be (5+10+3) %/3=6% of total health. That's how it will work. Armies, however, should be encircled for 24 hours to drain health, it's not like En. rules will apply if you are only encircled for 5hr. The smaller the number of encircled provinces the more health will be drained.

Is a city as much as one province? So if your cut off but you have a city it’s the same as if it was just provinces?
    Cities should last longer because of sieges, e.g. the battle of Caen.
    President of The Forum.

• z00mz00m wrote:

Encirclement is a tactical concept. Doesn't belong in a grand strategy game.

Good idea, wrong game, like bridges and rivers.
    Encirclements happen in all the big paradox games. Hell even in age of history! They are definitely a strategic concept, with encirclements like those of the BEF in France, Soviets in Kyiv and the German 6th army in Stalingrad all heavily effecting the wars they fought in. It’s not to complex of a feature, so a game like COW could probably Handle it.

• You are describing tactical situations. CoW does not have a concept of supply lines. Resources move by magic from every corner of your empire to every other corner. Instantly, with no waste, at no cost. Ships and planes can drop bombs all game long without resupply. Air fields can spring up in the middle of nowhere, holding endless stacks of planes that get unlimited fuel and ammo, forever. It's not realistic but it's how the game works. Encirclement does not belong in such a game.