Do Paratroopers take AA damage before mobilizing?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Do Paratroopers take AA damage before mobilizing?

Hello folks.

I'm playing a W@W round as Arkhangelsk. It's day 14. I own most of Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, and western USSR. I'm at war with Finland, who owns Western Europe and some land in northern Africa. It's been a day into this war, and although both of us have lost more than a few units, neither of us have made any significant territory gains.

One thing France is doing that's really irritating me is using paratroopers to capture key locations behind the frontline. Just before writing this post, he took out an airfield with paratroopers, which will delay a crucial plane stack from reaching the frontlines for a considerable amount of time. Resources are tight so I want to make as little unnecessary units as possible.

I am completely unaware about how the paratrooper mechanics work - I don't use them.

What I am wondering is: if I station an AA gun in the center of the province the paratrooper will land in, will the AA deal damage to the paratrooper BEFORE it converts (ie. while still in plane form)? If this is how it works, the paratrooper would have to defeat the AA gun (which wouldn't happen) before it captures the province?

I'm going to test this out now. If anyone here knows the answer, great. For now, I'm going to assume that the AA will be able to defeat the paratroopers and keep my airfields intact (save for some minor damage they may sustain during the melee).
    • Yes, the paras will take damage from any unit that dishes out AA damage. If the total AA defense is greater than the total HP of the paratrooper army, they die. Note that 1 AA may not be enough. Just like with bombers. More and stronger bombers require more and better AA to stop.