Current Game/Sever issue 24.10.17

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• MontanaBB wrote:

My one game, 1950950, still will not load. It was not a system-generated game, but a custom game that was password protected.

When I try to load it, the opening page with the COW logo and progress bar is stuck in an endless loop.

UPDATE: Given the complete absence of forum traffic on this subject in the last three hours, apparently I am one of the few players who still cannot load a game. My problem is still unresolved.
      game 1950950, also works for me. Anything that it shows for you or is it just not loading?
      Sarah / Sasri
      Ex-Community Manager
    • Sasri wrote:

game 1950950, also works for me. Anything that it shows for you or is it just not loading?
      It's stuck in an endless loading loop, where it displays the Call of War 1942 logo and the progress bar below it.

It also appears of be stuck in the mobile version, as the graphics are about one quarter their normal size and there is no "Switch to mobile version" button below the logo.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

Sasri wrote:

It's stuck in an endless loading loop, where it displays the Call of War 1942 logo and the progress bar below it.
      It also appears of be stuck in the mobile version, as the graphics are about one quarter their normal size and there is no "Switch to mobile version" button below the logo.
      To my memory, if it switches to the mobile version, there will be a button that says "switch to desktop" when the game is loading. If it's not showing either, there's a problem...

Is that game a frontline game, per chance? If so, I also had the same issue last night trying to open one of my frontline games, perpetually loading the 1942 with the bar completely full but the game failing to load. Might be a mobile version specific bug, because it works fine on my computer...
    • NovaTopaz wrote:

To my memory, if it switches to the mobile version, there will be a button that says "switch to desktop" when the game is loading.
      Yes, I know; the "switch to desktop" button is not there.

And now it's gotten even weirder. I can no longer access the COW main and my games list, etc. When I try to access the COW main page, it immediately skips to the Call of War 1942 logo and progress bar for the specific game. I have already tried to clear the computer and browser caches.

To be clear, I am trying to access the COW main page by typing "www.callofwar.com" in full (no autocomplete), but entering that into my browser immediately skips to "https://www.callofwar.com/play.php?uid=5439054&gameID=-1."

I am going to try another browser.

UPDATE: Okay, I can access the game using the MS Edge web browser, but not using my usual browser, Firefox. So it is apparently something specific to my account, my game, my computer and/or my browser.

UPDATE No. 2: I still cannot access the COW main page or the game in Firefox, but I can do so using MS Edge. Even weirder, when I click on the "back to Call of War" button found at the top of the forum pages, it also takes me directly to "https://www.callofwar.com/play.php?uid=5439054&gameID=-1" and the never-ending game loading page. I can't explain it, but it is obviously tied to Firefox and/or my account.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MontanaBB ().

• MontanaBB wrote:

I have already tried to clear the computer and browser caches.

Sasri wrote:

Did you try clearing your browser cache in firefox?
      Yes, as I said in my previous post.

Please re-read my previous post immediately above for specifics:

1. game will not load in Firefox;

2. COW main page will not load in Firefox; and

3. "back to Call of War button" on forum pages will not load COW main page in Firefox.

Thanks.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MontanaBB ().

• Sasri wrote:

I guess you also checked if there is an update for your browser or anything?
      No, I have not checked, but I will. I'm usually one of those guys who checks for updates weekly. It's obviously something specific to me, because no-one else is reporting a similar problem. The forum-to-main-page button launching the screwed-up, never-ending game loading screen is the weirdest of all.
    • Don't just clear your cache, but maybe try clearing your cookies and then restarting your computer. Sometimes the allocated memory in a browser (not only one, but any of them) can be corrupted locally. A fresh start may solve this for you.

That being said, there has been a memory leak associated with Call of War. Not only does the game allocate an undeservedly-large amount of memory per game, but you can never reclaim the full amount of memory allocation simply by closing the page. However, restarting the browser usually fixes that. But it's not a nice problem and should be looked into, at some point.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3
    • for me also only changing browser worked for yesterday
      today i have woke up tried to log and was fine
      but now in the afternoon after several hours i have found info that my account is banned!

guys (COW Team) what is going on?
      This is some kind of punishment for asking questions on forum?
    • I finally had some time to deal with this. Following @Diabolical 's suggestions, I deleted all of the cookies saved within the Firefox browser (repeatedly clearing the browser's cache did not resolve the problem, at least not by itself). That permitted me to access the Call of War login page again in Firefox (which I previously could not access, because any COW page was redirected to the Call of War game loading page, which would never resolve itself), and the combination of clearing the cookies and logging into the COW website seems to have finally cleared whatever the problem was in Firefox.

And the problem was definitely specific to FIrefox, because I was able to load the game using MS Edge 10+ hours ago, and I was experiencing none of the other weird side effects in Edge which were occurring in Firefox. I have no explanation.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

I was able to load the game using MS Edge
      Did Edge work for you? I found it to be dreadfully slow, to the point of having to click and wait for the count of 5 for that click to take effect.

I used to use Firefox, but Chrome is a lot better. (yes I know everyone said so, but I didn't listen, Ok, you were right)
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Did Edge work for you? I found it to be dreadfully slow, to the point of having to click and wait for the count of 5 for that click to take effect.
      I like Firefox much better than any of the Microsoft browsers, including Edge. And, yes, I found Edge to be slow, and particularly sluggish when splitting unit stacks in Call of War, when the graphics lag for some unknown reason. That said, Edge worked when Firefox and Call of War were not talking to each other for an extended period of 12+ hours.

I prefer Firefox over other browsers I have tried, but Firefox has the unique and annoying quality of swallowing more and more of your RAM memory and processor time the longer you have it open. Which is a particular problem for me, because I usually have 10 to 25 browser tabs open at any given time for work, email, news, and . . . uh . . . a certain online war game. The solution is to close and re-open Firefox two or three times a day to reduce its drag on RAM and processor time.

I haven't tried Chrome in a couple of years, and maybe I should test drive it again. That said, I am hugely offended by Google's information gathering and snoopy violations of my online privacy. I am not Google's godd-mn lab rat for online marketing purposes.
    • MontanaBB wrote:

I prefer Firefox over other browsers I have tried, but Firefox has the unique and annoying quality of swallowing more and more of your RAM memory and processor time the longer you have it open. Which is a particular problem for me, because I usually have 10 to 25 browser tabs open at any given time for work, email, news, and . . . uh . . . a certain online war game. The solution is to close and re-open Firefox two or three times a day to reduce its drag on RAM and processor time.
      You, my friend, have just very aptly described something that is called a "memory leak". It is a notorious issue in some applications, and Call of War seems to be one of the perpetrators. Without CoW, I've not found Firefox to have any memory leaks that I'm aware of.

A classic example of one of the worst cases of memory leaks was for a game, an alternative off-shoot of the Civilization series, called Civilization, Call to Power (and its pseudo-sequel, Call to Power 2). Both of those games (really, the sequel was barely different from the first game) were impossible to play more than an hour without having to quit and reload because of serious memory management issues and a gargantuan memory leak. And I've tried those games on more than one system, so I know it wasn't specific to my computer. I actually liked thost games, except for the fact that they were so hastily released and buggy beyond repair.

Anyway, I digress. I've identified Call of War as a candidate for memory leak issues in all three of the top main browsers (IE, Firefox, and Chrome) and, while I mainly use Chrome for CoW (it seems to be the least affected by the memory leak), it is still plagued by ginormous memory allocations far above and beyond what should logically be needed by this game. And, to slow things down, even more, the game simply freezes up for short periods of time whenever it tries to re-establish broken links (I think there ought to be a better method of "wait"-handling when the user is trying to perform commands during the intermittent pauses in the server feedback.
      It seemed like such a waste to destroy an entire battle station just to eliminate one man. But Charlie knew that it was the only way to ensure the absolute and total destruction of Quasi-duck, once and for all.

The saying, "beating them into submission until payday", is just golden...pun intended.

R.I.P. Snickers <3